The Abyss is a special region that provides access to all the Runecrafting altars without the need for a talisman, with the exception of astral runes, which may only be crafted on Lunar Isle. The Abyss consists of two rings: a dangerous outer ring in a multiway combat zone and a safe inner ring with rifts leading to the Runecrafting altars. In appearance, it seems to be oddly organic, with eyes, boils, and strange-looking tendrils. Aside from the abyssal monsters inhabiting it, using the Abyss is also dangerous because players who enter the Abyss will be immediately given a skull and have their Prayer points drained to 0.
Previously, the dwarf multicannon could not be used here. Due to a recent update, it is now allowed.
Perhaps the most dangerous aspect of using the Abyss is the fact that players have to travel through part of the low-level Wilderness to reach the Mage of Zamorak, who teleports the player to the Abyss.
Inside the AbyssEdit
The interior of the Abyss is roughly circular, with an 'inner' and 'outer' ring. After the player is teleported into the outer ring, they will have to find a way through to the inner ring where the rifts leading to the runecrafting altars are located.
The outer ring contains a large number of Abyssal monsters:
- Abyssal walker (combat level: 81)
- Abyssal guardian (combat level: 59)
- Abyssal leech (combat level: 41)
These monsters can hit over 12 (with the exception of the leeches, which hit a maximum of 2), although they often miss if the player has a decent defence level (65+) and wears adequate armour such as Dragonhide. However, the abyssal monsters should still not be underestimated as, due to their large numbers, a player in the Abyss may take several hits per second. It should be noted that, failed or not, no damage is taken from these monsters during an attempt to pass through to the inner ring. Minimising time between attempts can increase the chances of survival.
Access to the inner ring is gained by utilising different skills to bypass several obstacles:
- Chopping away tendrils using an axe
- Mining through rock using a pickaxe
- Distracting eyes (thieving skill needed, but no object needed)
- Squeezing through gaps (agility skill needed, but no object needed) This option can be the fastest due to the fact that clicking "squeeze" again whilst the animation is occuring puts the player in the Inner ring instantly.
- Burning away boils using a tinderbox
Upon entering the Abyss the player always appears near the mining obstacle or the agility obstacle. With a high mining or agility level, this can be used to one's advantage to train more efficiently. An alternative to the agility obstacle is to proceed past the agility obstacle and pass via the thieving obstacle. Yet another alternative to the mining obstacle is to proceed past the mining obstacle and pass via the woodcutting obstacle.
These obstacles have randomly generated locations upon a player's arrival in the Abyss and can be in different locations for different players at the same time. Passing them gives 25 xp in the required skill. The higher the level of the player in the corresponding skill, the higher the chances of passing the obstacle (the chances of passing are approximately skill level ÷ 99).
There are no monsters in the inner ring of the Abyss. There are rifts leading to every Runecrafting altar (except the Astral altar) there, which makes the Abyss useful for crafting a lot of different types of runes very quickly. Talismans or Tiaras are not needed to access the altars via the rifts. The following restrictions still apply:
- The Cosmic rift cannot be accessed until the Lost City quest has been completed.
- No weapons or armour can be taken through to the rift to the Law altar, as it is located on Entrana. This includes pickaxes and axes.
- The Death altar requires the quest Mourning's Ends Part II to be completed.
|Realms and worlds||