|Start point||The Mage of Zamorak at the end of the River Lum in the Wilderness (Roams levels 4-7).|
|Description||In the Abyss miniquest, the player helps the Zamorakians access the rune essence mines so that they can craft their own runes. Previously, it had been a Saradominist secret, but the Mage of Zamorak asks for the player's help in learning it.|
|Length||Short, long without teleports|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
- Follow the River Lum near Edgeville until you reach the Mage of Zamorak, or travel north over the Wilderness ditch; he wanders around Level 4-7 Wilderness. Talk to him, and he will explain to you that it is too dangerous to talk in the Wilderness. He wants you to meet him back at Varrock. Note that he will not talk to you if you are wearing Saradomin or Guthix items.
- Head back to Varrock, and find him located at the Zamorak chaos temple (southeast of Aubury's Rune Shop). Talk to him there, and then ask him where he gets his runes from when the question is available. He will tell you about the Abyss and that he is having problems. Say that you will help him.
Getting the readingsEdit
- He will then give you a Scrying orb. He will explain that you need to travel to the rune essence mine from three different locations with the orb in your inventory. This will give the scrying orb readings of where you travelled from and how you got there.
- Travel to the rune essence mines from three of the five locations.
- It is suggested you travel from Aubury in Varrock, Archmage Sedridor in the basement of the Wizards' Tower (south of Draynor Village) and Wizard Cromperty (northeast of the marketplace) at East Ardougne. However, you may also travel from Brimstail at his cave southwest of the Grand Tree or Wizard Distentor at the Wizards' Guild, which requires 66 Magic, if you want.
- When you are done, go back to the chaos temple in Varrock. Speak to the Zamorakian Mage, and he will give you 1,000 Runecrafting experience, an Abyssal book and a small pouch, used to hold 3 rune essence. Then, speak to him again, and he will tell you this is not the place to talk, then says, "Meet me back in the wild, you remember the place." Be sure to exhaust all dialogue options before heading back to Edgeville, or he will tell you to go back to Varrock when you speak to him.
- Travel back to the Wilderness, and talk to him again. He will warn you about the monsters and perils that roam the Abyss. Request to teleport to the Abyss, and you complete the miniquest.
- If you have other god armour on besides Zamorak, he will tell you to take it off before speaking to him, because it is disrespecting the "holy place."
- Note: After finishing, be sure to ask him, "So what is this 'abyss' stuff", before departing so that you can save a trip.
- Ability to enter the Abyss
- 1,000 Runecrafting experience
- A small pouch (able to carry 3 pure essence or rune essence)
Required for completingEdit
Completion of the Abyss miniquest is required for the following:
Alfred Grimhand's Barcrawl • Architectural Alliance • Bear your Soul • Curse of the Empty Lord • Enchanted Key • Enter the Abyss • The General's Shadow • Lair of Tarn Razorlor • The Mage Arena • Rag & Bone Wish List • Skippy and the Mogres