|Also known as||Att, Atk|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update unknown) edit|
as of 11 April 2014 - update
as of 25 January 2014 - update
For this skill's related training article, see Attack training.
Fighting accurately Edit
To increase a player's Attack level, they must choose the "accurate" attack style. To do this, a player has to click on the image with the two swords beside the menu that shows their skills. This menu is called the "attack style menu". The player can then click on the attack style that says "accurate" in brackets.
While fighting accurately, players will hit more often than they would when fighting aggressively or defensively. To get the highest possible melee accuracy you need 99 attack, highest offensive stat bonus (stab/slash/crush), undead opponent with low defence, weakness to either stab, slash or crush, Salve amulet (e), piety and zamorak brew. E.g. Skeleton monkey .
A formula is used that decides how much experience a player obtains when fighting accurately. If a player hits an opponent, whatever damage they deal is multiplied by 4 and given to the player's Attack skill. For example, if a player hits a 1, then they will receive 4 Attack experience.
Some experience is also given to a player's Hitpoints level when they deal damage. If a player hits an opponent, whatever damage they deal is multiplied by 1.33 and given to their hitpoints. For example, if a player hits a 1, then they will receive 1.33 Hitpoints experience, in addition to the 4 experience in attack.
Combat training (dummies) Edit
If a player's attack level is under 8, then they can also train on dummies.
Dummies are sandbags which players can hit and not risk being dealt damage. Each time a player hits a dummy, they earn 5 attack experience. However, hitting dummies does not give players any hitpoints experience. You can only train up to attack level 8. Dummies can be found in various places across RuneScape, though the most popular place is north of Varrock's east bank.
Attack bonuses Edit
Some weapons give players "attack bonuses" to certain attack types. These bonuses can be seen in the equipment menu, to the right of the inventory menu. Attack bonuses give players advantages as well as disadvantages in combat.
Stab: Some weapons are good at stabbing, such as daggers, swords, longswords, and pickaxes. A weapon with a good stab attack bonus will deal more damage when a player fights by choosing the stab attack style.
Slash: Some weapons are good at slashing, such as swords, longswords, axes, scimitars, battleaxes, and two-handed swords. A weapon with a good slash attack bonus will deal more damage when a player fights by choosing the slash attack style.
Crush: Some weapons are good at crushing, such as maces, battleaxes, two-handed swords, and warhammers. A weapon with a good crush attack bonus will deal more damage when a player fights by choosing the crush attack style.
Magic: Magic-based weapons, such as staves, give players a magic attack bonus, useful for maging.
Range: Ranged-based weapons, such as bows and crossbows, give players a range attack bonus, useful for ranging.
Other attack bonuses Edit
- An Amulet of Accuracy gives an equipment bonus of +4 to the stab, slash, and crush attack types.
- An Amulet of Power gives an equipment bonus of +6 to the stab, slash, and crush attack types.
- An Amulet of Glory gives an equipment bonus of +10 to the stab, slash and crush attack types. It is also member's only.
- The beads of the dead gives +1 in all styles. This is member's only
- An Amulet of Fury gives the same bonuses as the Amulet of Glory in the attack stats, but has more defensive capabilities. It is also member's only.
- A Warrior ring gives an equipment bonus of +4 to just the slash attack bonus. It is also member's only.
- Any gloves received as a reward from the Culinaromancer's Chest as a reward from the Recipe for Disaster quest gives substantial attack bonuses in stab, slash and crush; the more expensive, the better the bonuses. Note that each name of the type of glove is assumed by appearance, as Jagex has called the gloves simply "Gloves." All of the gloves are member's only.
- "Bronze" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +2 in each melee style.
- "Iron" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +3 in each melee style.
- "Steel" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +4 in each melee style.
- "Black" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +5 in each melee style.
- "Mithril" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +6 in each melee style.
- "Adamantite" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +7 in each melee style.
- "Rune" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +8 in each melee style.
- "Dragon" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +9 in each melee style.
- "Barrows" gloves provide equipment bonuses of +12 in each melee style.
- A player's maximum stab bonus is +133 (Zamorakkian Hasta, Rune defender, Fighter's hat, Fire cape, Amulet of fury/glory, barrows gloves)
- A player's maximum slash bonus is +168 (Godsword, warrior ring (i), fighter's hat, barrows gloves, fire cape, amulet of fury or amulet of glory)
- A player's maximum crush bonus is +123.(Dharok's great axe, Fire cape, Amulet of fury/glory, barrows gloves)
- A player's maximum range bonus is +217 (Armadyl crossbow, Odium ward, Armadyl helm, Armadyl chestplate, Armadyl plateskirt, Ranger boots, Barrows gloves, Archer's ring (i), Amulet of Fury, Ava's accumalator)
- A player's maximum magic bonus is +139 (3rd age mage hat, Ahrims robe top, Ahrims robe skirt, infinity boots, barrows gloves, seer's ring (i), God cape, 3rd age amulet, Master wand, Mage's book)
- A player's maximum strength bonus is +179.(Godsword, Helm of Neitiznot/berserker helm, Bandos chestplate, bandos tassets, dragon boots, barrow gloves, strength amulet, fire cape)
Levels needed to wield different types of weapons are as follows:
|Bronze||1||Apart from the comedy weapons, bronze weapons are the weakest weapons in all of RuneScape. In general, only the bronze dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed. It is recommended that players start out using iron weapons, as they are more effective than bronze.|
Iron weapons are stronger than bronze weapons, but have the same level requriement.In general, only the iron dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed.
|Steel||5||Steel weapons are stronger than iron weapons. In general, only the steel dagger, sword and scimitar should be used due to their speed.|
|Black||10||Black weapons are stronger than steel weapons. In general, only the Black dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed.|
|Mithril||20||Mithril weapons are stronger than black weapons. They are also lighter than all other weapons, making the mithril axe and pickaxe common choices for runners. In general, only the Mithril dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed. The mithril 2h sword is not effective as a finishing weapon.|
|Adamant||30||Adamant weapons are stronger than mithril weapons. They are heavier than other metal weapons, making the mithril axe and pickaxe much better choices for runners. In general, only the Adamant dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed. The adamant 2h sword is barely powerful enough to serve as a finishing weapon in pvp, although it's abilities leave something to be desired.|
|Rune||40||Rune weapons are stronger than adamant weapons and are also the strongest weapons free players can wield. In general, only the Rune dagger, sword, claws and scimitar should be used in combat due to their speed. The rune battleaxe and warhammer are barely powerful enough to serve as finishing weapons in pvp, although their abilities leave something to be desired. The rune 2h sword is a solid finishing weapon although higher level weapons can deal much more damage. The rune claws have a weak special attack which boosts their damage by 10% for 1 hit, making them useful for pvp as well.|
|Granite Maul||50||This weapon has the best special attack in the game (opinion), it requires 50% of the special attack bar to perform and when clicked will perform an instant attack. This allows for the player to deal three hits immediately after one another by spam clicking the special attack bar after the first hit. This weapon is commonly used by rushers because it had the ability to deal very high damage quickly and can often provide instant deaths for those who are caught unaware. It has a +82 strength bonus and is as slow as 2h swords.|
Obsidian weapons are stronger than rune weapons. Obsidian can only be wielded by members. Wearing a berzerker necklace boosts the damage of obsidian melee weapons by 20%, but drastically lowers accuracy.
The obsidian sword (toktz-xil-ak) has the same stats as the rune longsword, but it has a faster attack speed. and benefits from the berzerker necklace, making it one of the three best weapons in the game.The dragon scimitar is significantly more accurate than the obsidian sword, making it better for training and pvp unless used by a player with stats of roughly 80+ and wearing a berzerker necklace.
(The Obsidian maul (tzhaar-ket-om) can be used with 1 attack and 60 strength, making it a common choice for pures. When used with a berzerker necklace, even high level players can use this as a finishing weapon. It has a +82 strength bonus, but remember that the 20% increase from berzerker necklace applies to damage dealt.)
|Dragon||60||Dragon weapons are stronger than rune weapons and all offer a special attack. All Dragon weapons have a special attack, although only the dagger and mace specials are commonly used as finishers. The Dragon Dagger, Longsword, and Scimitar are good for training. (Dragon claws are not in the 2007 game, and dragon swords have never existed) The 2h Sword and Halberd make decent finishing weapons in pvp, although their special attacks are more useful against monsters. The 2h Sword and Halberd have strength bonuses of +92. The dagger and Mace make excellent finishing weapons with their special attacks; The Dagger's special boosts damage by 15% and hits twice(with a strength bonus of +45), while the maces special boosts damage by 45% (with a strength bonus of +60). The dragon battleaxe is useful while training, as it's special boosts strength by more than a super strength potion. It also has the highest strength bonus of any 1 handed weapon on the 2007 servers.|
|60||The barrelchest anchor is one of the three best finishing weapons in the game, after dharok's greataxe and the obsidian maul with berzerker necklace. It requires completion of the "Great Brain Robbery" quest to obtain and equip, and has a +100 strength bonus, making it better than the dragon 2h sword and halberd, although with a different special attack.|
|70||Barrows is currently the strongest set of melee equipment in the game. Barrows can only be wielded by members. When the helm, body, legs and (two handed) weapon of a barrows brother are worn together, the player gains access to a set effect. (The armour requires level 70 defence to wear).
Dharok's Greataxe: damage is boosted when hitpoints are lowered, up to a maximum of double damage when at 1 Hp. Even when at full health, Dharok's greataxe is the most powerful weapon in the game. This weapon is occasionally used for training: the player will pray against melee attacks and use items to lower their hp to 1, allowing hits of over 80 damage.
Guthan's Warpear: There is a chance for the player to heal for the damage they deal. The chance is roughly 1 in 5.
Verac's flail: This weapon has a chance to completely ignore prayer and armour when calculating damage and accuracy.
Torag's Hammer: Attacks have a high chance to drain the target's run by 20%. Torag's Hammers have a strength bonus of +82 and are the same speed as longswords, making them decent for training against monsters weak to crush.
Barrows weapons do not have special attacks.
|Abyssal whip.||70||The Abyssal whip has the highest damage per second of any weapon in the game, however it does not have an "aggressive" style, making it ineffective for training strength. In addition, a player must always train either attack, defence, or both when using a whip, making them inconvenient for pures. Whips are worth a huge amount of money, making them uncommonly seen in the Wilderness. Whips have a strength bonus of +82 and are as fast as scimitars.|
There are also many other miscellaneous weapons all over RuneScape which fit into no particular category. They are often quest rewards or rare drops from monsters. They include the Keris (which deals extra damage to Kalphites), Excalibur,blurite swords, silverlight and darklight (which deal extra damage to demons) and Machetes.
The following quests give attack experience upon completion.
|In Search of the Myreque||600||Yes|
|A Fairy Tale Part I||2,000||Yes|
|In Aid of the Myreque||2,000||Yes|
|A Fairy Tale Part II||2,500*||Yes|
|The Fremennik Trials||2,812.4||Yes|
|Legends Quest||7,650 to 30,600||Yes|
|Shadow of the Storm||10,000*||Yes|
|Tree Gnome Village||11,450||Yes|
|The Grand Tree||18,400||Yes|
|Recipe for Disaster||20,000*||Yes|
|Monkey Madness||20,000 or 35,000||Yes|
|Contact!||7,000 to 14,000*||Yes|
* Indicates that this is optional.
Temporary boosts Edit
- Attack potion - Boosts attack level by 10%; amount depends on player's attack level.
- Combat potion - Boosts attack level by 3 to 12; amount depends on player's attack level. Also boosts Strength at the same time.
- Super attack potion - Boosts attack level by 15%; amount depends on player's attack level.
- Zamorak brew - Boosts attack level by 20%; amount depends on player's attack level.
- Prayer - Clarity of Thought, Improved Reflexes and Incredible Reflexes boosts attack level by 5%, 10% and 15% respectively.
- Black mask - When equipped, boosts attack level by 15%; amount depends on player's attack level. Also boosts Strength at the same time. Only works while fighting monsters that have been assigned to you by a Slayer Master.
- Cup of tea - Boosts attack temporarily by 2.
- Ruby Harvest - When used on another player in a multi-combat zone, increases that players attack by 20% .