Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Please add an image!|
|Release date||18 May 2004 (Update)|
|Start point||Speak to Rantz, far east of Feldip Hills.|
|Description||Rantz the Ogre needs to feed his demanding children, Fycie and Bugs, so he wants to go Big Chompy Bird hunting. Problem is, he's all fingers and thumbs when it comes to making ogre arrows.
Could someone please give him a hand?
|Enemies to defeat||wolves (Level 64) (optional)|
Talk to Rantz, he is located southeast of Gu'Tanoth. Some ways to get to him include using the Gnome glider, trading for a Feldip Hills teleport with other players, the Nightmare Zone Minigame Group Finder, or the fairy ring system (A•K•S). Rantz is hungry and wants you to help him make arrows for his unusually large bow, so he can hunt the Chompy bird.
- Note: You must make the ogre arrows from scratch, otherwise Rantz will not accept them.
Making the arrowtipsEdit
You need to start the quest before you can have the ability to make the arrowtips.
- Kill a few wolves (level 64) in the crater to the southwest of Rantz for wolf bones.
- Use a chisel on the wolf bones to produce arrow tips.
- Note: When chiselling the wolf bones, you receive a random amount of arrowheads (2-6 estimated).
Making the shaftsEdit
- Chop down a few Achey Trees nearby for Achey tree logs (you'll need around 5 logs - Rantz himself wants 6 arrows, and you will probably want a few of your own).
- Use a knife on the logs to produce some arrow shafts.
Making the arrowsEdit
- Use feathers on the shafts to produce flighted ogre arrows.
- Use the flighted ogre arrows with the wolfbone arrowtips.
- Return to Rantz, and give him the arrows. He then tells you about the swamp toads that his sons like to play with.
- Ask Rantz all of the questions that are listed, or else you won't be able to open the chest later.
- Enter the cave entrance north of Rantz.
- Speak to Rantz' children in the cave. They will inform you that Rantz locked their ogre bellows (keep the bellows if you plan on doing Mourning's Ends Part I and/or Recipe for Disaster) in the chest. The chest is closed and weighted shut with a large rock.
- Attempt to unlock the chest. Unsuccessful attempts will reduce your Strength by 1.
- Search the chest to retrieve the bellows (make sure to search it right away, or it may lock again).
The inflatable toadsEdit
- Head back to where you found the wolves. A little west to the wolves, you will find a swamp. (See the first picture of the walkthrough.)
- Use the bellows on the swamp bubbles in the swamp, at the southern end of the swamp pond. You get three shots with the gas filled bellows before it needs to be filled again.
- Use the bellows on a toad again to get a bloated toad and you will catch it and put it in your inventory. Get 3 toads.
The chompy and the huntEdit
- Return to Rantz and talk to him. He will show you where you need to place the toads to lure the chompy birds out.
- Drop a toad on the spot (a yellow flashing arrow will mark it). Don't stay too close to the bait, but make sure it is in visible range. Occasionally, waiting too long results in the bait disappearing. Continue placing the bait until you have no more left. On a successful lure, a chompy bird will appear. Rantz will take a shot at it, but he will miss. He will complain that the arrows don't fly straight.
- Talk to Rantz and offer to help shoot for him. He will agree and give you his ogre bow. (If you're quick getting the bow, the already spawned chompy bird can be killed).
- Head back down to the clearing and place another toad (it doesn't have to be on the exact tile indicated at first).
- Wield the bow and arrows and when the bird appears, range it. If the bird doesn't appear or it flies away before you can kill it, keep placing bloated toads to lure the Chompies back.
- Once you kill a Chompy, pluck the carcass and take the raw chompy back to Rantz. He now wants you to cook it as well.
Cooking the chompy birdEdit
Rantz will name a special ingredient that he wants the bird to be cooked with. He will also tell you to ask the children what they would like the bird seasoned with.
- Travel to the cave and ask each of the two Ogre children what they want the Chompy seasoned with. In all, you will need three different ingredients, but only one bird.
- It's different from player to player what the ogres want on the Chompy, but here's a quick list of where to get it all.
- Note: the onion is not marked on the map, but it's on the floor two steps south from the ogre chef, right to the tomato.
- Onion: A little bit to the west of the southeastern swamp, there's a fire, and some ogres growing them.
- Doogle leaves: West of the easternmost swamp, respawn of 4.
- Equa leaves: You can get this southeast of Rantz.
- Tomato: West of the swamp on a stool.
- Potato: A bit southeast of Rantz (same area as cabbage). Needs to be picked from a potato plant.
- Cabbage: Southeast of Rantz, right beside the equa leaf.
- Use the bird on the spit north of Rantz while holding all three ingredients. Present Rantz with his delicious seasoned cooked chompy bird.
- 2 Quest points
- 262 Fletching experience
- 1,470 Cooking experience
- 735 Ranged experience
- An ogre bow
- The ability to fletch ogre arrows
- The ability to cook chompy birds and earn a bowman hat
- Chompy Hunt
Required for completingEdit
- When Rantz misses the bird he blames the "arrows" rather than the "stabbers".