Bolts are the ammunition used by crossbows. Most types of bolts are made using a combination of the Smithing and Fletching skills, the initial bolts being made with Smithing, and feathers being added with Fletching. Certain special bolts can only be obtained through other methods, such as monster drops or specialist shops.
Different types of bolts can be stored in a bolt pouch to conserve space. Bolts sometimes survive shots, so you can pick up your fired bolts.
Metal bolts Edit
All metal bolts can be poisoned.
*Broad-tipped bolts have an equal Ranged Strength to Adamant Bolts.
Gem-tipped bolts and enchanted bolts Edit
Smithable metal bolts can be enhanced by adding gem bolt tips. These have a higher Damage stat, and a correspondingly raised mimimum crossbow level needed to fire them with uncapped damage. They can be further improved by enchantment, which raises both the damage and level requirement even further.
Each type of enchanted bolt has a unique effect that triggers randomly with auto-attacks. These are described in the table below.
|Bolt type||Enchantment||Other notes||Ranged Strength|
|Opal bolts (e)||Lucky Lightning: extra damage||+14|
|Jade bolts (e)||Earth's fury: chance of knocking the target to the ground||Agile targets may resist this||+30|
|Pearl bolts (e)||Sea curse: chance of striking the target with a mighty bolt of water, dealing extra damage||It will have more damage and a higher accuracy on fiery monsters (e.g. TzHaar)||+48|
|Topaz bolts (e)||Down to earth: chance of lowering the target's Magic level||Only works on another player||+66|
|Sapphire bolts (e)||Clear mind: chance of lowering the target's Prayer points and giving part of them to the attacker||Only works on another player||+83|
|Emerald bolts (e)||Magical poison: Chance of poisoning the opponent||Poison damage starts at 5||+85|
|Ruby bolts (e)||Blood forfeit: chance of removing 20% of the target's current Hitpoints||This effect costs 10% of the attacker's own current Hitpoints||+103|
|Diamond bolts (e)||Armour piercing: the bolts will negate a sizeable portion of the target's Ranged defence, and the special attack raises the bolts' maximum hit||+105|
|Dragon bolts (e)||Dragon's breath: chance of inflicting a Dragonfire hit against the target||Does not work if the target has protection against dragonfire, or are dragons themselves||+117|
|Onyx bolts (e)||Life leech: Chance of doing extra damage and healing the attacker by 25% of the damage dealt||This does not work on the undead, as they have no "life" to leech||+120|
Player-created bolts that use skills other than smithingEdit
- Silver bolts are much like other silver items, in that they are crafted using an appropriate mould and a furnace. Silver bolts are the only ranged weapons that can be used effectively against vampyres.
- Kebbit bolts and Long kebbit bolts are fletched from Kebbit spikes and Long kebbit spikes respectively. They can only be used with the Hunter's crossbow.
- Barbed bolts are made from Bronze bolts by attaching Barb bolt tips which can be purchased in the Ranging guild using Archery tickets.
- Broad-tipped bolts require 55 Slayer to use in addition to ranged requirements. They can be obtained from Slayer masters using Slayer reward points, or purchased unfinished from Slayer masters' shops using coins. The ability to complete these bolts using feathers must be obtained using Slayer reward points before they can be made usable.
- Bone bolts can be bought from Nardok's Bone Weapons shop, and are only usable with the Dorgeshuun crossbow.
Bolts obtained as dropsEdit
Ranged strength of other boltsEdit
|Long kebbit bolts||+38|
The Mithril grapple is used in conjunction with a crossbow to grapple agility shortcuts and obstacles. They can break when used.
Ranged Strength of Standard Ammunition Edit
|Metals||Arrows||Brutal arrows||Bolts||Darts||Javelins||Knives||Throwing axes|
|Gem bolt tips|