Desert heat is an effect found in the desert area of RuneScape. Desert heat does damage to a player while they are within a desert area that is further south than Shantay Pass. In order to counteract the effects of desert heat a player must carry a waterskin. Every time the player would be affected by desert heat, they will automatically take a drink from their waterskin, thereby preventing any damage from being dealt. Note that players are immune to Desert Heat while within the boundaries of towns.
Protective clothes and gearEdit
- Waterskins - Waterskins allow a player to survive the desert's heat effect, and usually come in 4 doses of water. Each time a player drinks, a dose of water is used up.
- Choc-ice - Players who go to Nardah can buy choc-ice from Rokuh. They also heal 6 hitpoints.
Three sets of clothes protect against desert heat, by extending the time between drinks of water by 30 seconds. These are:
- Desert amulet 4 - provides 100% protection against desert heat. Requires completion of the elite Desert Diary.
- Desert clothing - The set consists of a desert shirt, desert robe, and desert boots. These clothes are completely white, and closely resemble Druid's robes. The robes can be purchased from Shantay at Shantay Pass, or from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid.
- Desert outfit - This outfit can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during or after the miniquest Rogue Trader. The outfit differs slightly for male and female players.
- Menaphite clothing - The robes can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during or after miniquest Rogue Trader. They come in two colour schemes: purple and red.
- Slave robes - The set of slave clothing obtained during the The Tourist Trap quest may also be worn in the desert for minor protection against the desert heat but it is not recommended because the standard desert clothing is much more effective and easily obtainable.
- Prospector Kit - The prospector kit can be purchased from Prospector Percy in the Motherlode mine using golden nuggets obtained randomly through cleaning pay-dirt.
Note that players do not have to wear the entire set for the protecting effect to happen. Each piece contributes to the protection. However, the full set provides the most protection.
Some players believe that the Robes of Elidinis provide the best protection from Desert heat. However, Robes of Elidinis actually provide no protection from desert heat.