Free-to-play, also known as F2P, is the free version of RuneScape where no payment to Jagex is required to play. Players who play the free version of RuneScape are known as "Free players", "F2Ps", or "Non-members". This is in contrast to members, who pay a fee for access to a much larger map and a multitude of skills, items, quests, and activities, which are not available to free-to-play users. It is worth noting that free-to-play users can gain access to membership through in-game purchases of membership bonds.
Anyone with a valid RuneScape account can access free-to-play servers.
Free-to-play was released permanently on the 19th of February 2015, due to people voting yes in the poll for the introduction of free-to-play along with membership bonds. Before this a 2-week F2P trial existed for new accounts.
While there are many limitations, to the game that are members only, Free to play still yields a decent gaming experience for players. However, it is important to remember Free To Play is only a small portion of the full game, and a significant bias against F2P does exist, especially from players with membership.
Free-to-play has access to 15 skills and maximum total level for them is 1485.
The skills are:
- Melee skills: attack, strength and defence (and Hitpoints)
- Magic with limited access to standard spells
- Strike, bolt and elemental blast spells plus Crumble Undead
- Confuse, Weaken, Curse and Bind spells
- Level 1, 2, 3, and 4 enchantments (limited to amulets for free-to-play)
- Home, Varrock, Lumbridge and Falador Teleports and Telekinetic Grab
- Bones to Bananas, Low Level Alchemy, High Level Alchemy and Superheat Item
- Magic armour is limited to blue and black wizard robes and staves to four elemental staves, Magic staff, regular staff and Skull sceptre
- Prayers are available up to level 45 Mystic Might
- Runecrafting elemental, mind and body runes
- Mining and Smithing
- Fishing and Cooking
- Woodcutting and Firemaking
There are relatively few monsters in free-to-play, partly due to there being only six dungeons in the free-to-play map. The dungeons are:
- Asgarnia Ice Dungeon (Skeletal Wyvern area not included)
- Crandor and Karamja Dungeon
- Dwarven mine (Motherlode Mine not included)
- Edgeville Dungeon (Wilderness part not included)
- Stronghold of Security
- Varrock Sewer
Some monsters have restricted drop tables in F2P and it should be noted that all areas, such as the Wilderness, do not contain all of the monsters found in members servers.
The highest level free-to-play monsters are Evil Chicken and Shades. The only boss with broadcast loot and kill counter is Obor and he can be killed in Edgeville dungeon after having retrieved the key to his lair. Other notable higher level monsters include Ankous, Lesser demons, Greater demons and quest boss Elvarg.
There are 19 free-to-play quests with a total of 40 available quest points. With 32 quest points Champions' Guild becomes available and players may start arguably the most challenging free-to-play quest: Dragon Slayer.
Players will find that there are many items they cannot equip unless they are members, should one browse their combat stat guides. (Players can find these guides in-game, by clicking on their Attack, Strength, or Defence levels.)
Although there are a great quantity of items unavailable, Non-members are still privileged with the use of many metal armours and weapons (aside from claws and the like) as well as Wizard Robes and hats, Leather / Hard / Studded leather armour, and green dragonhide armour.
Non-members in Runescape will discover an increase in bank size when they attain the membership status; which used to be an immense relief for players.
Oldschool developers have since given both Members and Non-members a vast amount of extra banking space as a result of the player community calling for the change.
Old School bonds can be purchased with real world cash, or purchased in-game. These can be redeemed in-game for a period of Membership playtime. In other-words, one could make gold and play membership content for free!
There are 12 free-to-play servers located in United States, United Kingdom and Germany. Seven of the servers are themed.