Herblore training ranges from cleaning herbs to making potions which can only begin after completing the Druidic Ritual quest granting the player level 3 Herblore. To make a potion, the player will have to gather the required ingredients, usually a herb of some sort along with a secondary ingredient, and use them on a vial of water.
- Vials of Water can be obtained in packs of 100 at various stores (click for shop list).
- A good way to train Herblore with minimal profit loss is to kill monsters with a high herb drop rate, such as Al Kharid guards and Chaos Druids.
- Many herbs and ingredients can be grown using the Farming skill.
- For information about the cost per experience, see Calculator:Herblore/Potions
Level 1 to 3Edit
Level 3 to 9Edit
It is recommended to do the Jungle Potion quest in order to go straight to level 9.
Level 9 to 13Edit
You can complete Recruitment Drive to get from level 9 to 13.
Level 13 to 19Edit
Levels 9 to 12 Edit
The steps to complete one are:
- Use the Guam leaf with the Vial of water to create a Guam potion (unf).
- Use the Eye of newt with the Guam potion (unf) to make an Attack potion.
- Although after level 5 there are better ways to train Herblore, making Attack potions is a good way to dispose of unneeded Guam Leaves while gaining some Herblore experience.
- The secondary ingredient, eye of newt, can be bought from Jatix's Herblore Shop in Taverley or from Betty's Magic Emporium in Port Sarim.
- This method is one of the cheapest ways of reaching level 15.
- It is possible to farm your own guam at level 9 Farming.
Levels 12 to 26Edit
At level 12, players are able to create Strength potions.
It will take 127 Strength potions to reach level 26.
- Limpwurt roots can be quite expensive; however, it is possible to grow your own at level 26 Farming.
Levels 15 to 38+ Edit
It will take 127 Serum 207 potions to reach level 26.
- Tarromin and ashes are both relatively cheap to purchase on the Grand Exchange.
- It is possible to farm your own Tarromin at level 19 Farming.
- This method is incredibly click intensive, as there is no "Make All" option when making Serum 207, and so each potion will have to be made individually.
Levels 26 to 38 Edit
At level 26, players are able to create energy potions .
It will take 322 Energy potions to reach level 38.
- Harralander can be grown at level 26 Farming.
- Chocolate dust is relatively cheap when bought on the Grand Exchange, but it may also be acquired from Grand Tree Groceries for a lower cost.
- Whole Chocolate bars can be purchased from the Culinaromancer's Chest during and after the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- It is possible to save money by grinding Chocolate bars down into Chocolate dust using the pestle and mortar, but the savings are negligible.
Levels 38-55 Edit
At level 38, players are able to create Prayer potions which are the best way to train. They have high demand and sell very fast.
It will take 1557 prayer potions to reach level 55 from level 38.
Levels 36 to 55 (Alternative Method) Edit
Combat potions are an alternative to the prayer potion method. The materials cost considerably more than the finished potion but they sell relatively quickly. To create a combat potion, you need harralander and goat horn dust.
- Combat potions give 84 experience per potion.
- Level 36-55 Herblore requires 141,821 experience.
- 141,821 / 84 = 1688.3 = 1689 combat potions to reach level 55.
- Goat horns are significantly cheaper before they are ground into dust. Consider buying the horns intact and grinding them yourself to save money.
Levels 55 to 69 Edit
Make super strength potions. They require level 55 Herblore.
- Super strength potions give 125 experience per potion.
- Level 55-69 requires 501,415 experience.
- 501,415 / 125 = 4012
4012 super strength potions are required to reach level 69.
- The ingredients are fairly easy to obtain from other players, but the loss per potion can range from 500 gp to breaking even. With current GE prices you will lose about 1000 coins per potion.
- Kwuarm can be grown with level 56 Farming.
- Limpwurt root can be grown at level 26 Farming.
Levels 69 to 81/99 Edit
- Antifire potions give 157.5 experience per potion.
- Level 69-81 requires 1,524,767 experience.
- 1,524,767 / 157.5 = 9682
9682 antifire potions are required to reach level 81 for Saradomin brews.
- Level 69-72 requires 231,206 experience.
- 231,206 / 157.5 = 1468
1468 antifire potions are required to reach level 72 for ranging potions.
- Level 69-99 requires 12,366,380 experience.
- 12,366,380 / 157.5 = 78,517
78,517 antifire potions are required for level 99.
- The cost to produce these potions is considerably less than super strength, as lantadyme can usually be obtained for 700-1.5k, and the secondary ingredient, dragon scale dust, is ~300-500gp.
- There isn't much profit (if any) to be made, but these are the fastest and cheapest potions to make from a raw cost/xp perspective.
Levels 72 to 81 or 72 to 99 Edit
Ranging potions are available at level 72. They give 162.5 experience per potion.
- Level 72-81 requires 1,293,561 experience.
- 1,293,561 / 162.5 = 7961
7961 ranging potions are required to reach level 81 for Saradomin brews.
- Level 72-99 requires 12,135,174 experience.
- 12,135,174 / 162.5 = 74,678
74,678 ranging potions are required to reach level 99.
- The loss is about the same per potion as super strengths, unless you decide to camp the spawn spot for its secondary ingredient: wine of Zamorak.
- Ranging potions only offer 5 experience more than antifire potions. While the raw materials cost approximately twice as much, they do sell for more than anti-fire potions proportionate to the cost of materials.
Levels 81 to 99 Edit
At level 81, players are able to make Saradomin brews. These give 180 experience per potion.
- Level 81-99 requires 10,841,613 experience.
- 10,841,613 / 180 = 60232
60,232 Saradomin brews are required to reach level 99.
- Can be profitable if materials are gathered correctly.
- It might be recommended for players who have completed Throne of Miscellania quest to use their kingdom to gather the nests required for this potion.
Levels 90 to 99 Edit
At level 90, players are able to make super combat potions. These give 150 experience per potion.
To create a super combat potion, you need torstol, super strength (4), super defence (4) and super attack (4).
- Most of the time this is profitable. However, prices change daily.
Levels 94 to 99 Edit
At level 94, players are able to make anti-venom+ potions(4 dose). These give 125 experience per potion.
If creating every single potion manually this can be the fastest Herblore experience in the game.
To create an anti-venom potion+ you need a torstol and an anti-venom potion.
- Sometimes this method can be profitable depending on the prices.
Other Methods Edit
Herb cleaning Edit
Cleaning grimy herbs can reward fairly good experience and often results in a profit. To find out if money will be lost or gained, look at the cost of the grimy herb and compare it to the cost of the clean herb.
This method is tedious. However, making potions always results in a loss, often surpassing 50%, while cleaning the herbs results in a gain. Overall, if you are willing to commit the time, cleaning herbs is a much more cost-efficient method to gain herblore experience.
The following rates assume you are cleaning 5,000 herbs per hour.