|Immune to poison?||No|
|Weakness||Wind spells, Slash|
|Always drops||Big bones|
|A very large foe.|
A Hill Giant is a type of giant found in several locations around RuneScape, most highly concentrated in the far southern end of the Edgeville Dungeon. These dungeons may be accessed through the entrance located in the house north-east of Barbarian Village and west of the Cooking Guild if the player has a Brass Key. The Edgeville Dungeon area is usually very crowded in free-to-play worlds, as players like to gather Big bones to bury them for Prayer experience. Members worlds usually are much less crowded due to the better money making options for members. There are two hill giants present in level 17-18 Wilderness; however, very few people go there because of the dangerous player killers in the area and its far distance from any bank. The closest bank for most hill giants in the Wilderness is in Edgeville. They are aggressive to players below combat level 57.
They have relatively low Defence for their level, which makes them quite good for experience from level 30 to level 50.
The hill giant is one of the creatures that could potentially drop a Champion's Scroll, making it a desirable monster both to train on for experience, due to its relatively high hitpoints but low defence, and for its respective scroll.
- Deep Wilderness Dungeon
- Edgeville Dungeon (28)
- South-west of Tree Gnome Stronghold (6)
- Lava Maze, Level 43 Wilderness
- North of the Observatory (6)
- Taverley Dungeon (5), past the Magic axe and Poison Scorpion
- Tree Gnome Village (2)
- Wilderness Level 17 and 18 (2), southeast of Bone Yard, near the Black salamander Hunter area
For low-levelled players, hill giants can be a great way to make money, as they always drop Big bones, which bring in around 200 gp each. They also frequently drop limpwurt roots, a secondary herblore ingredient. The major and most noticeable drawback to money making with hill giants however, is that the Edgeville Dungeon is often crowded.
In order to save weight whilst training on these giants, only equip dragonhide armour; if you are at least level 65 defence, you will not get hit frequently. This will reduce your weight, thereby allowing you to run further. Only equip a rune scimitar or rune 2h. This will save one inventory spot for big bones or limpwurt roots for strength potion brewing.
Item Quantity Rarity Big bones 1
Item Quantity Rarity Iron arrow 3 Iron dagger 1 Iron full helm 1 Steel arrow 10–15 Iron kiteshield 1 Steel longsword 1 Iron 2h sword 1
Steel dagger 1 Steel platebody 1 Adamant arrow 1–5
Item Quantity Rarity Water rune 7 Fire rune 15 Cosmic rune 2 Law rune 2–3 Nature rune 6 Mind rune 3 Death rune 2 Chaos rune 2
- Note that all herbs are dropped in unidentified form.
Item Quantity Rarity Guam leaf 1 Marrentill 1 Tarromin 1 Harralander 1 Ranarr weed 1 Irit leaf 1 Avantoe 1 Kwuarm 1 Cadantine 1 Lantadyme 1 Dwarf weed 1
Item Quantity Rarity Tomato seed 1–3 Potato seed 1–4 Onion seed 4; 8 Tomato seed 3 Strawberry seed 2 Cabbage seed 4 Limpwurt seed 1 Watermelon seed 1–4 Sweetcorn seed 3
Item Quantity Rarity Coins 8–493 Limpwurt root 1 Beer 1 Body talisman 1 Chaos talisman 1 Long bone 1 Champion's scroll (giant) 1 Curved bone 1
Rare drop table
In addition to the drops above, this monster also has access to the rare drop table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity Coins 3,000 Uncut sapphire 1 Loop half of key 1 Tooth half of key 1 Uncut emerald 1 Uncut ruby 1 Nature talisman 1 Chaos talisman 1 Nature rune 67 Runite bar 1 Rune spear 1 Rune battleaxe 1 Rune 2h sword 1 Uncut diamond 1 Rune javelin 5 Silver ore 100 (noted) Adamant javelin 20 Rune sq shield 1 Steel arrow 150 Rune arrow 42 Law rune 45 Death rune 45 Dragonstone 1 Rune kiteshield 1 Dragon med helm 1 Shield left half 1 Dragon spear 1
- They were once just called 'Giants', but this was later changed by Jagex to avoid confusion between other giants.
- They are one of three kinds of giants available in free-to-play worlds, the other two being Moss giants and Ice giants.
- Some hill giants appear to be wielding cleavers, weapons from the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- Despite being called "hill giants", the majority of the giants are found in dungeons. The reason for the naming was revealed in a Postbag from the Hedge; they are called "hill giants" because their muscles on their arms resemble hills.