Ironman mode and Ultimate Ironman mode are account-types that were released in Old School RuneScape on October 13, 2014, as official support for the Ironman style of playing, where players are completely self-sufficient.
Both modes can only be able to be activated at the Tutorial Island by speaking to either Adam or Paul before being teleported by the Magic Instructor. There will be an option to toggle it off at any point the player wishes after the tutorial, but they won't be able to be turned back on after that. Players may also choose to permanently stay an Ironman, and these restrictions cannot be removed in-game (players on permanent ironman mode may contact Customer Support to have it removed).
- Trade with other players (except certain quest items from Shield of Arrav and Heroes Quest)
- Pick up drops from other players' kills, including PvP
- No loot will drop whatsoever if another player has dealt damage to that monster. Even one point of damage dealt by a non-ironman player will prevent the ironman from getting any loot. This does not apply if that monster was weakened by other monsters.
- Gain experience from player-versus-player encounters (base Magic experience from casting spells is still gained, however)
- Use the Accept Aid feature
- Enter another player's player-owned house
- Buy items from other players through overstocked shops or take advantage of higher sell prices of understocked shops
- Receive items via balloons in the Falador Party Room
- Stake in the Duel Arena
- Group activities in Nightmare Zone, and resource rewards from the reward chest (excluding scroll of redirection)
- Use the banks of RuneScape (they are still able to use noted items on bank booths to unnote them)
- Create item sets using the Grand Exchange
- Receive resources from Managing Miscellania
- Send their Servant to the bank or the Sawmill
- Keep any item on death nor use the Protect Item prayer
Ironmen and BondsEdit
Ironmen can get bonds as gifts from other players or through the official OldSchool website. However, it is less expensive to purchase one month of membership than it is to purchase bonds (with real-world money), so this should be considered when purchasing membership on an ironman. They can also turn untradeable bonds into tradeable bonds, but ironmen cannot use bonds on any other players.
Ironman accounts will be identifiable by an outfit exclusive to both modes - the Ironman armour and Ultimate ironman armour. In addition, both modes have their own chat badge to denote their status: for an ultimate ironman and for a standard ironman.
There are two hiscores for Ironman mode, one highscore table displays all Ironman accounts (including ultimate ironmen), while the other highscore table solely displays Ultimate Ironman accounts.