|Release date||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Always drops||Dragon bones, 2x Black dragonhide|
|The biggest, meanest dragon around.|
The King Black Dragon, commonly referred to as KBD, is a three-headed dragon located in his lair deep in the Wilderness. The King Black Dragon has a combat level of 276, which makes it the fourth strongest dragon in Old School RuneScape. Players should not take this foe lightly, and they should always take an Anti-dragon shield as his dragonfire breath is very deadly without protection. The King Black Dragon can also be killed as a Slayer assignment for black dragons.
Although he will always fight back when attacked, he has gotten bored over the centuries from adventurers attacking him as he revealed to his good friend, Bob the Cat.
While going to the King Black Dragon requires the player to travel in the Wilderness, contrary to popular belief, completion of the Wilderness Diary does not double his bone drops, as the lair he resides is not affected by the Wilderness system.
As of an update on 18 February 2016, players can pay 50,000 coins from their inventory to open an instanced version of the KBD lair, where it will be inaccessible by other players. However, once players leave, the instance will expire and they will have to pay 50,000 coins to open another instance. If players leave any items in the instance, they will disappear. This means that if a player dies or disconnects while inside a KBD instance, their items will not be retrievable.
Reaching the KBDEdit
- From Edgeville, players can bring an axe to make a Waka canoe, which requires 57 Woodcutting, at the canoe station and take it to the Wilderness. (WARNING: Watch out for player killers!) Once arrived, the player will have to trek westward past some green dragons on the southern end of the Lava Maze before going slightly north-west toward the western part of the Lava Maze where some fenced lesser demons are. Enter their cage, and there is a ladder that will take you down to some aggressive poisonous spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- Wilderness Obelisks can also be used to get there. Be wary that using them makes the player more susceptible to encountering high-level monsters or PK'ers. Players who complete the hard Wilderness Diary can choose the obelisk they wish to teleport to. The obelisk closest to the KBD's lair is level 44.
- North-west of Ardougne Castle, there's a lever that can be pulled that takes the player to Deserted Keep. From there, the player needs to slash some spider webs to get out, and head southward to a long fence and follow it either east or west to an opening. If following it east, then beware of the Chaos Elemental. Once out, trek westward past the northern end of the Lava Maze before going slightly south-west toward the western part of the Lava Maze where some fenced lesser demons are. Enter their cage, and there's a ladder that will take you down to some aggressive poisonous spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- The Ice Plateau or Ghorrock Teleport is the fastest way to get there. After teleporting, the player should run south-west to the gate opening, and run south-east to some fenced lesser demons on the west side of Lava Maze. Enter the cage, and there's a ladder that takes you down to some aggressive poisonous spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- The Arceuus spellbook's teleportation spell, "Forgotten Cemetary teleport" can be used to get to the KBD lair. It teleports you south of the KBD lair.
The King Black Dragon can also poison and reduce the player's stats as well as inflict damage, so antipoison (Super antipoison is preferred) and stat-restoring potions, such as Super restores, are highly recommended. He has three unblockable breath attacks: Poison, Shock, and Freeze.
His normal dragonfire has a max hit of 65 with no protection, 15 with the Anti-Dragon Shield or Dragonfire Shield, and completely blocked with both the shield and Antifire potion. Again, his dragonfire is significantly stronger than normal dragonfire, which has a max hit of 65 if unprotected, so players need to be sure they have one of the aforementioned shields equipped at all times.
His poison, shock, and freeze breaths can be reduced to 10 damage using either of the said shields. Although an antifire potion reduces 75% of all damage against these three unique attacks, it will only nullify all damage from the normal dragonfire. Thus, the player will be fully protected from the KBD's regular dragonfire with the proper shielding and an antifire, but his special breaths can still deal up to 10 damage.
As of 13 March 2014, the King Black Dragon now has a chance of dropping the Dragon pickaxe. Protect from Magic won't protect against KBD's hits, but it may lower the chances of him freezing you with his ice attack.
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Rune longsword 1 Common 20,436 Adamant platebody 1 Common 9,943 Adamant kiteshield 1 Uncommon 3,064 Dragon med helm 1 Rare (1/128) 62,489 Dragon pickaxe 1 Very rare (1/1,500) 3,097,889
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Fire rune 300 Common 1,500 Air rune 300 Common 1,500 Blood rune 30 Common 7,140 Iron arrow 690 Common 7,590 Law rune 30 Uncommon 5,520 Runite bolts 10–25 Uncommon 2,110–5,275 Dragon dart tip 5–14 Uncommon 17,685–49,518 Dragon arrowtips 5–14 Uncommon 4,425–12,390 Dragon javelin heads 15 Uncommon 14,835
Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Amulet of power 1 Common 2,454 Yew logs 150 (noted) Common 59,850 Shark 4 Uncommon 4,176 Gold ore 100 (noted) Uncommon 38,800 Runite limbs 1 Uncommon 9,520 Runite bar 1 Uncommon 13,799 Adamantite bar 3 Uncommon 7,542 Clue scroll (elite) 1 Rare (1/450) Not sold Kbd heads 1 Rare (1/128) Not sold Prince black dragon 1 Very rare (1/3,000) Not sold Draconic visage 1 Very rare (1/5,000) 13,822,915
Rare drop table
In addition to the drops above, this monster also has access to the rare drop table.
Show/hide rare drop table Item Quantity Rarity GE market price Coins 3,000 Common Not sold Uncut sapphire 1 Common 1,647 Loop half of key 1 Common 8,060 Tooth half of key 1 Common 18,665 Uncut emerald 1 Uncommon 1,106 Uncut ruby 1 Uncommon 2,121 Nature talisman 1 Uncommon 723 Chaos talisman 1 Uncommon 596 Nature rune 67 Uncommon 17,822 Runite bar 1 Uncommon 13,799 Rune spear 1 Rare 12,547 Rune battleaxe 1 Rare 26,809 Rune 2h sword 1 Rare 41,563 Uncut diamond 1 Rare 3,943 Rune javelin 5 Rare 480 Silver ore 100 (noted) Rare 15,100 Adamant javelin 20 Rare 780 Rune sq shield 1 Rare 24,993 Steel arrow 150 Rare 5,100 Rune arrow 42 Rare 4,368 Law rune 45 Rare 8,280 Death rune 45 Rare 14,805 Dragonstone 1 Rare 16,759 Rune kiteshield 1 Rare 36,421 Dragon med helm 1 Rare 62,489 Shield left half 1 Very rare 73,852 Dragon spear 1 Very rare 41,959
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|
|Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
Dragons and dragon-like races
Wilderness bosses and rewards