The Nightmare Zone is a combat-based minigame that is located north of Yanille, northwest of the bank. The minigame involves players having "dreams" to fight bosses they have fought before in quests. It is run by Dominic Onion, who is a mage from Lunar Isle. This Minigame is SAFE meaning you will not lose items on death, however any items you drop manually on the ground will be lost if you die, as you will be taken away from the arena.
Dominic did not plan on calling his business the Nightmare Zone; it was what the local folk have been calling it. The plan came to him in a vivid dream when he was younger, where he saw himself running a successful business from a great structure. He told his father about it, who laughed and said he should be a banker like his ancestors. He refused and wanted to find out what that dream meant, so he studied to find out more about magic, particularly oneiromancy and dream interpretation. Once he had learned enough he left Lunar Isle, attempting to find the location where he built the huge tower. Since he had not found it or gathered enough money for its construction, he decided to set up a small business north of Yanille selling dreams to people.
- Using the teleport option located in the mini-game tab, which is the fastest way of getting there. If the Clan Chat is full due to the popularity of this minigame, you can use the Fishing Trawler Minigame teleport which is very closeby.
- Casting Watchtower Teleport and walking east.
- Casting Teleport to House when your house is in Yanille, or Re-directing a Teleport to House Tablet to Yanille using the Scroll of Redirection.
- Using Fairy Ring code CLS and walking west.
- Using a Ring of dueling to teleport to Castle Wars, then walking to Yanille.
To begin the game the player must complete at least five quests required to access the minigame:
The minigame requires coins to be put into the coffer. The amount of coins needed for each mode varies according to the type of mode respectively:
- Practice mode is free, requiring no coins.
- Endurance mode requires 1,000 coins for normal mode, and 5,000 coins for hard mode.
- Rumble mode requires 2,000 coins for normal mode, and 6,000 coins for hard mode.
There are 3 Modes of play in Nightmare Zone as follows:
- Practice - Selecting a single boss which you have previously defeated in a quest to fight 1-on-1 until either boss or player dies.
- Endurance - Fighting every boss you have unlocked 1-on-1 in waves until either player dies or player defeats all bosses available to said player.
- Rumble - This mode allows you (Or a group of friends!) to fight multiple randomly generated bosses at once and when you kill any single boss another one will spawn in its place endlessly until the player dies. This mode requires all players in the group to have the coins required for participating. Bosses encountered in a rumble are those that all players in the group can access
To start a rumble one player must speak to Dominic and he/she must invite participating players within the enclosure. Those that leave the enclosure will automatically leave the group. Once the hosting player drinks the dream potion players in the group will be prompted to either join the shared dream or leave the group.
All modes have a 'Normal' or 'Hard' difficulty which can be applied.
- Normal - This mode is the least difficult and is basically all of the quest monsters at their original levels which you engaged in battle with them in their quests.
- Hard - This mode is the most difficult and has all of the normal quest bosses in it except they adjusted their combat levels to suit the 'Hard' difficulty.
Once the player chooses a mode to participate in, money is deducted from the coffer and Dominic prepares the dream potion on a plinth, which when drunk will bring you into the Nightmare Zone arena. Those who wish to spectate can drink the spectator potion and enter the name of the player whom they wish to spectate.
Note that you do not need to bring certain quest items needed to finish off bosses; for example, the Black Knight Titan will die without the use of Excalibur, and items such as Magic secateurs will be provided in the arena if you've killed Tanglefoot before. Runes will also be provided for Chronozon and the Dagannoth mother. These runes have an (nz) at the end of their name, and can be used anytime within the minigame; Magic experience is heavily reduced, however.
NOTE when you log out inside the arena, your dream will end as if you died. You will NOT be able to return to the arena if you logged out.
In Rumble mode there are power-ups that spawn somewhere in the arena randomly and gives a player a temporary advantage against the bosses within the arena. There are four power-ups, each with an individual colour denoting its use:
- Recurrent damage - Red in colour, using this power-up deals extra damage whenever you hit. These extra damage do NOT give exp. The extra damage is dependent on your initial damage, using the formula , where is the initial damage. For example, an attack that hits 35 will be followed by an attack that hits 26.
- Zapper - Purple in colour, using this power-up damages nearby monsters. The zapper won't damage bosses that are immune to normal attacks (such as the dagannoth mother and tanglefoot).
- Power surge - Yellow in colour, using this power-up grants the user unlimited special attack power for a brief period of time.
- Ultimate force - White in colour, using this power-up instantly kills all the bosses that are present in the arena. Points will NOT be gained for killing bosses in this manner.
The following table details the list of monsters that can be encountered within the Nightmare Zone; the more quests a player has completed, the more a player has access to. In Rumble mode, the only bosses that appear are those that all participating players have access to.
- Note: Point values increase based on the number of quests completed. These points are the maximum points that can be given (assumes ALL quests have been completed, not just those required for bosses below). If you are in a team, points are split between those who attacked the monster. The person who did the most damage will take a larger percentage of the maximum points from that monster.
|Name||Image||Level (Hard Mode)||Hitpoints (Hard Mode)||Attack style||Points gained (Hard Mode)||Notes and precautions||Quest appearance|
|Count Draynor||34 (177)||40 (210)||Melee||192 (6,404)||A Hammer and Stake are not required to kill him.||Vampire Slayer|
|King Roald||47 (188)||60 (150)||Melee||385 (7,231)||Shouts various humorous phrases.||What Lies Below|
|Witch's experiment||19, 30, 42, 53 (47, 77, 90, 103)||21, 31, 41, 51 (63, 93, 102, 113)||Melee||490 (2,066)||Will use a glare that will drain players stats, and four forms must be defeated before the player can progress further.||Witch's House|
|The Kendal||70 (210)||50 (150)||Melee||858 (9,090)||Mountain Daughter|
|Me||79 (201)||Same as players (135)||Melee||1,085 (8,264)||Initiates a humorous dialogue between them and the player as the fight progresses.||Lunar Diplomacy|
|Elvarg||83 (214)||80 (240)||Melee, Dragonfire||1,190 (9,297)||An Anti-dragon shield is provided in the arena, and is a must to fight Elvarg. Without it she will severely damage you.||Dragon Slayer|
|Moss giant||84 (182)||120 (240)||Magic||1,225 (6,818)||Unlike its regular counterparts, this one uses magic attacks only and is more powerful.||Roving Elves|
|Slagilith||92 (202)||60 (150)||Melee||1,471 (8,264)||Extremely weak to crush attacks; a pickaxe is provided in the arena.||One Small Favour|
|Nazastarool||91, 68, 93 (176, 153, 181)||100, 75, 110 (154, 180, 176)||Melee||1,506 (6,611)||Has three forms which the player must defeat in order to progress through the minigame.||Shilo Village|
|Treus Dayth||101 (194)||85 (240)||Melee||1,576 (7,644)||Does not possess cranes, pickaxes and mine carts, but will disappear and return briefly after a fair amount of damage is dealt.||Haunted Mine|
|Skeleton Hellhound||97 (198)||95 (132)||Melee||1,646 (8,057)||In Search of the Myreque|
|Dagannoth mother||100 (201)||100 (240)||Melee, Ranged||1,751 (8,264)||Weaknesses vary by color: White is weak to Air spells, Blue is weak to Water spells, Orange is weak to melee, Brown is weak to Earth spells, Red is weak to Fire spells, and Green is weak to Ranged.||Horror from the Deep|
|Agrith-Naar||100 (196)||100 (209)||Melee, Magic||1,753 (7,851)||Uses Magic only when out of melee range. Silverlight is not required to finish him.||Shadow of the Storm|
|Tree spirit||101 (199)||85 (187)||Melee||1,784 (8,057)||Lost City|
|Dad||101 (???)||??? (???)||Melee||1,786 (8,264)||Can knock player back several spaces.||Troll Stronghold|
|Tanglefoot||111 (199)||102 (204)||Melee||2,154 (8,057)||Can only be damaged by using Magic secateurs, which is provided in the arena.||Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains|
|Khazard warlord||112 (192)||169 (255)||Melee||2,189 (7,438)||Tree Gnome Village|
|Arrg||171 (210)||150 (255)||Melee, Ranged||2,224 (9,090)||Troll Romance|
|Black Knight Titan||120 (210)||141 (255)||Melee||2,521 (9,090)||Excalibur is not required to kill him.||Holy Grail|
|Ice Troll King||122 (216)||150 (255)||Melee, Ranged, Magic||2,591 (9,297)||Using Protect from Melee will result in the king knocking you several squares back. It is recommended to use Protect from Missiles and drinking a dose of Absorption to negate the magical damage he deals.||The Fremennik Isles|
|Bouncer||137 (244)||116 (232)||Melee||3,274 (12,190)||Fight Arena|
|Glod||138 (276)||160 (255)||Melee||3,327 (15,702)||Has the to make players either run away in fear of the huge giant or charge at him in anger. He can disable any active Prayers on the player, and lowering their prayer points by a noticeable amount.||Grim Tales|
|Evil Chicken||159 (286)||120 (240)||Magic||4,413 (16,735)||Magic attack hits very low but frequently.||Recipe for Disaster - Sir Amik Varze|
|Agrith-Na-Na||146 (235)||200 (255)||Melee, Magic||3,730 (11,363)||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Flambeed||149 (238)||210 (255)||Melee, Magic||3,887 (11,570)||Like Fareed, ice gloves must be worn, or use water spells to attack.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Karamel||136 (186)||240 (255)||Melee, Magic||3,222 (7,024)||Like Kamil, it drains stats very frequently so an Overload is recommended.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Dessourt||121 (217)||140 (255)||Melee, Magic, Ranged||2,556 (9,710)||Has a attack is one part magic, one part ranged each of which does double 5s for a total of 10 hitpoints. Protect from Magic or Missiles is recommended to half the damage received.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Gelatinnoth Mother||130 (201)||240 (240)||Ranged, Magic||2,959 (8,264)||Uses ranged and magic attacks simultaneously. Like the Dagannoth mother, weaknesses vary by color: White is weak to Air spells, Blue is weak to Water spells, Orange is weak to melee, Brown is weak to Earth spells, Red is weak to Fire spells, and Green is weak to Ranged.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Culinaromancer||75 (209)||140 (255)||Melee, Magic||980 (8,884)||Magic attacks hit very high; Protect from Magic is recommended.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Chronozon||170 (297)||60 (120)||Melee||5,061 (18,181)||All four Blast spells are required to kill him. Runes are provided in the arena.||Family Crest|
|Black demon||172 (292)||165 (255)||Melee||5,166 (17,561)||The Grand Tree|
|Giant Roc||172 (257)||200 (255)||Melee, Ranged||5,166 (13,636)||Has a special attack that will knock players several squares back and stun them. Beware of its ranged attack where it will fling a rock towards the player; move away or receive large damage.||My Arm's Big Adventure|
|Dessous||139 (217)||200 (255)||Melee, Magic, Ranged||3,380 (9,710)||Like Dessourt, he uses a special attack that is both magic and ranged. Wind spells are very effective.||Desert Treasure|
|Damis||103, 174 (200, 272)||90, 200 (198, 255)||Melee||5,288 (15,082)||Earth spells are very effective against Damis. After his first form is defeated he will become far stronger and will drain prayer at a high rate. Absorption potions are recommended.||Desert Treasure|
|Fareed||227 (299)||130 (255)||Melee, Magic||4,868 (18,388)||You must wear ice gloves in order to melee him, and since ice gloves are not provided in the arena, Water spells are an effective alternative. He can hit very high without Protect from Melee.||Desert Treasure|
|Kamil||154 (273)||130 (255)||Melee, Magic||4,150 (15,289)||Desert Treasure|
|Nezikchened||187 (295)||150 (150)||Melee, Magic||6,112 (17,975)||Legends' Quest|
|Barrelchest||210 (380)||134 (255)||Melee, Ranged||6,322 (29,752)||Drains prayer and turns them off when using protection prayers.||The Great Brain Robbery|
|Giant scarab||191 (316)||130 (255)||Melee, Ranged||6,374 (20,454)||It is weak to stabbing attacks and magic, and uses what appears to be Earth Blast but is really a ranged attack, so use Protect from Missiles. It will not summon reinforcements as it did during Contact!||Contact!|
|Jungle Demon||195 (327)||170 (255)||Melee, Magic||6,654 (21,900)||It is recommended to use ranged attacks as it is weak to it, and can deal both high magic and melee damage when in melee range. The 10th squad will not be here to aid you like they did during Monkey Madness.||Monkey Madness|
|The Untouchable||274 (440)||90 (180)||Melee||13,134 (39,876)||Reflects a portion of melee damage||Dream Mentor|
|The Everlasting||223 (365)||230 (255)||Melee||8,704 (27,479)||Has a very high magic defence; stab or ranged attacks will deal better damage.||Dream Mentor|
|The Inadequacy||343 (600)||180 (255)||Melee, Ranged||20,595 (74,380)||Uses melee attacks only when within melee range; otherwise it will only use ranged attacks. It will not summon doubts like it did during Dream Mentor.||Dream Mentor|
The rewards for the Nightmare Zone are contained in a chest near Dominic Onion, and the rewards are split into three categories: Resources, Upgrades, and Benefits. These rewards can be purchased using Reward points obtained inside the minigame.
Resources include certain herblore ingredients, elemental runes, and items that are only obtainable via the minigame, such as compost potion and scrolls of redirection.
For profit selling calculate: " Points required to buy item / by price you will sell it = Gp worthy per point. "
|Red spider's eggs||300|
|Bucket of sand||200|
|Dragon scale dust||750|
|Vial of water||145|
|Scroll of redirection||775|
Upgrades can imbue certain items for reward points, increasing stats. The imbued black mask enhances magic accuracy, ranged accuracy, and ranged damage to assigned slayer targets. The imbued Fremennik rings increase stats, and imbued crystal equipment will not have its stats lowered as it degrades. For crystal equipment, each charge costs an additional 2,000 points to imbue; 2,000 points for 1/10 and 20,000 points for an unused one.
Imbuing it will add an (i) to its name and will have an "Uncharge" option. The uncharge option removes the imbued bonus, and will NOT refund your reward points. Dying will cause your imbued item to lose its charges, and the player will have to obtain the charges again to imbue it.
|Black mask (imbued)||1,250,000|
|Slayer helmet (imbued)||1,250,000|
|Salve amulet (imbued)||800,000|
|Salve amulet (e) (imbued)||800,000|
|Berserker ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Warrior ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Archers' ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Seers' ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Tyrannical ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Treasonous ring (imbued)||650,000|
- ↑ The Slayer helmet can be imbued in the same manner as the black mask, and the black mask (i) can be used to assemble the helmet, making it a Slayer helm (i).
Benefits include certain potions that can only be used within the minigame. Dominic's potions are sold by the dose. When you purchase a dose, it is automatically stored in the barrels until the player withdraws them.
- For someone with a Quest Point Cape, the maximum number of points on the Endurance mode is 159,699, on the Hard Endurance mode it is 596,259 points.
- The maximum number of points on a Hard Mode Rumble is 1,048,575 () points.
- Dominic Onion is a play on 'Dominion' as the minigame resembles the Dominion Tower in RuneScape 3.
- Nightmare Zone did not originally appear on the official Old School RuneScape world map. This has since been updated.