|Release date||10 April 2006 (Update)|
|Start point||Go east of Varrock, through the gate near the earth altar, to Paterdomus. The old man is in a little quarry just north of the path.|
|Description||Everybody needs some body, and the Odd Old Man knows exactly which bits of those bodies he needs. Can you help him finish his extensive and extremely creepy collection?|
|Requirements||The ability to defeat a level 27 monster.|
|Enemies to defeat||Several: see below.|
- Go east of Varrock, through the gate near the Earth altar as if you were travelling to Canifis (north of the Digsite). Halfway there, you will find the Odd Old Man in the limestone quarry to the north (in between the temple and Lumber Yard you will see the quest icon on your minimap along with a mine close by).
- Talk to him, and he will tell you that he needs several bones to complete his collection. (Talk to him again after getting the list to skip the step of taking the bones to him, then making a second trip for the vinegar.)
Here's a list of the creatures you need to kill to obtain bones, and their locations. (Talk to the old man before you begin gathering.) The special bone are not 100% drops, killing multiple monsters may be required. Here is a recommended route for five of the bones starting from the Lumbridge Swamp Caves.
- Teleport to Lumbridge, head south-east to the graveyard and then south-west to the swamp cave. From there, go down the cave using the rope (make sure you have a light source and a rope), go west and then south and you'll see the big frog (big frogs in the Lumbridge Swamp will not work).
- When you exit the cave, go north-west, and you will see a group of giant rats.
- Keep going north-west to the spot where you start Lost City (quest icon on map), and a unicorn will be in that area.
- Go north, past the fence, until you hit the small dirt ditch, and follow it east until you get to a ruined building (red exclamation mark on the map) and a goblin will be there.
- Go north-east from there to the paddock of sheep, and you'll see a ram there.
That quick circuit is an easy way to get five out of the eight bones right off the bat. (Head to Draynor Village to purchase the vinegar after speaking to Fortunato. Then, charter a ship to Karamja from Port Sarim and kill a monkey on your way to the Karamja Volcano, and then kill a giant bat after going into the volcano itself.)
|Goblin skull||Goblin||Near Lumbridge, south of Varrock, west of Al Kharid and north of Ardougne.|
|Big frog leg||Big frog||In the Lumbridge Swamp Caves, south of fairy ring ajq (the big frogs on the surface of the Lumbridge Swamp do not drop it. Also, giant frogs do not drop it either.)|
|Bear ribs||Bear||South of Varrock, above Varrock Sewer, or north of Falador. Bears near Ardougne also work.|
|Ram skull||Ram||In the northern end of Lumbridge (in the paddock full of sheep), south of Varrock, or north of the Crafting Guild (by the Make-over mage), as well as in the Fisher Realm after finding Sir Percival.|
|Unicorn bone||Unicorn||South of Varrock, west of Catherby, Draynor Village and Lumbridge Swamp, south of Edgeville, or on Entrana, west from the Law altar.|
|Monkey paw||Monkey||South Karamja, east of the Karamja Volcano, Ardougne Zoo (if you choose to go to Ardougne Zoo, you must bring ranged and/or magic equipment and have 33 Magic for Telekinetic Grab).|
|Giant rat bone||Giant rat||South-east of Varrock, Varrock Sewer, Lumbridge Swamp, west of the south-east Varrock mine, near the Port Sarim Jail and the Barrows tunnel (not recommended unless going there for other reasons)|
|Giant bat wing||Giant bat||Yanille dungeon or south-west of Catherby, Heroes' Guild, outside Keep Le Faye, or Crandor and Karamja Dungeon.|
- Giant rats, unicorns, rams, goblins and bears can all be found within close proximity of each other just south of the South-east Varrock mine.
Polishing the bonesEdit
Once you have collected the bones or while you are around Draynor Village collecting the bones, go to the market square and talk to Fortunato. He will be able to sell you some jugs of vinegar for 1 coin each. If you intend to do the Rag & Bone Wish List miniquest, then it's a good idea to buy another 27 jugs.
- Note: Do not steal from the market stall or he will not talk to you.
After you buy eight jugs of vinegar, talk to the Odd Old Man for further instructions.
- Use a jug of vinegar with a pot to get a pot of vinegar, and then use the bone with the pot of vinegar to get a bone in vinegar. Your pot will then be returned, without the vinegar. (You only need one pot, not eight) Repeat for all eight bones.
- Note: Be careful that you do not accidentally empty the bone in vinegar, because if you do, you will lose the bone and have to collect that bone again.
- Go back to the old man taking the eight bones in vinegar, a tinderbox and eight logs. Or alternatively, bring an axe; there are trees near the Odd Old Man at the bottom of the stairs where logs can be cut.
- To polish the bones, use a log on the pot-boiler next to the Odd Old Man, then use a bone in vinegar on the pot boiler, and finally use your tinderbox to light it (you will not receive experience for lighting logs). It takes 12 seconds for each pot to boil. Repeat this for all eight bones.
Talk to the Odd Old Man, and give him the polished bones to complete the quest.
Once the quest is completed, a player can read the wish list located on the Odd Old Man's hut. There is a list of 27 additional bones to be collected and prepared in the same method as the quest, completing this list provides the player with 5,000 Prayer experience and the choice of either a bonesack or a ram skull helm.
- Note: Completion of the wish list is a requirement for obtaining the Quest point cape.
- Rag-and-bone man is a British phrase for a junk dealer. Historically, the phrase referred to an individual who would travel the streets of a city with a horsedrawn cart, and would collect old rags, (for converting into fabric and paper), bones for making glue, scrap iron and other items, often trading them for other items of limited value.