|Please add an image!|
|Release date||10 April 2006 (Update)|
|Start point||Go east of Varrock, through the gate near the earth altar, to Paterdomus. The old man is in a little quarry just north of the path.|
|Description||Everybody needs some body, and the Odd Old Man knows exactly which bits of those bodies he needs. Can you help him finish his extensive and extremely creepy collection?|
|Requirements||The ability to defeat a level 27 monster.|
Recommended: Spiny Helmet (Slayer)
|Enemies to defeat||Several: see below.|
- Go east of Varrock, through the gate near the earth altar as if you were travelling to Canifis (north of Digsite). Halfway there, you will find the Odd Old Man in the limestone quarry to the north. (inbetween the temple and lumber yard you will see the quest icon on your mini map along with a mine close by.)
- Talk to him, and he will tell you that he needs several bones to complete his collection. (Talk to him again after getting the list to skip the step of taking the bones to him, then making a second trip for the vinegar.)
Here's a list of the creatures you need to kill to obtain bones, and their locations (Talk to the old man before you begin gathering). The special bone are not 100% drops, killing multiple monsters may be required. Here is a recommended route for five of the bones starting from the Lumbridge swamp caves.
- Teleport to Lumbridge, head south-east to the graveyard and then south-west to the swamp cave. From there, go down the cave using the rope, (make sure you have a lantern or a candle and a rope) go west and then south and you'll see the Big Frog.
- When you exit the cave, go north-west and you will see a group of Giant Rats.
- Keep going north-west to the spot where you start Lost City (quest icon on map) and a Unicorn will be in that area.
- Go north, past the fence, until you hit the small dirt ditch, and follow it east until you get to a ruined building (red exclamation mark on the map) and a goblin will be there.
- Go north-east from there to the paddock of sheep and you'll see a ram there.
That quick circuit is an easy way to get 5 out of the 8 bones right off the bat. (Head to Draynor Village to purchase the vinegar. Then charter a ship to Karamja from Port Sarim and kill a monkey on your way to the Karamja Volcano, and then kill a giant bat after going into the volcano itself)
|Goblin||Goblin skull||Near Lumbridge, south of Varrock, West of Al Kharid, and North of Ardougne.|
|Big Frog||Big frog leg||In Lumbridge Swamp Caves, south of fairy ring AJQ (note: The Big Frogs on the surface of the Lumbridge Swamp do not drop it. Also, Giant Frogs do not drop it either.)|
|Bear||Bear rib||South of Varrock, Above Varrock Sewers, or north of Falador. Bears near Ardougne also work.|
|Ram||Ram skull||In the northern end of Lumbridge (in the paddock full of sheep), south of Varrock, or north of the crafting guild (by the make-over Mage), as well as in the Fisher King's Realm after finding Percival.|
|Unicorn||Unicorn bone||South of Varrock, West of Catherby, Draynor Village and Lumbridge Swamp, south of Edgeville, or on Entrana, west from the Law altar.|
|Giant rat||Giant rat bone||Southeast of Varrock, Varrock Sewers, Lumbridge Swamp, West of Varrock Mine, Near Port Sarim Prison and the Barrows Tunnels (not recommended unless going there for other reasons)|
|Giant bat||Giant bat wing||Yanille dungeon or south-west of Catherby, Heroes' Guild, outside Keep La Faye, or Karamja Volcano.|
- Just south of the eastern Varrock mines Giant rats, Unicorns, Rams, Goblins and Bears can all be found within close proximity of each other.
Polishing the bonesEdit
Once you have collected the bones or while you are around Draynor collecting the bones, go to Draynor Village and talk to Fortunato (found by the market square) there. He will be able to sell you some jugs of vinegar for 1 coin each. If you intend to do the Rag & Bone Wish List miniquest, then it's a good idea to buy another 27 jugs. Note: Do not steal from the market stall or he will not talk to you. Do not use the bones on the pots of vinegar before you talk to the Odd Old man.
After you buy 8 Jugs of vinegar, talk to the Odd Old man for further instructions.
(Example inventory with hatchet equipped prior to returning to Odd Old Man)
- Use a jug of vinegar with a pot to get a pot of vinegar, and then use the bone with the pot of vinegar to get a bone in vinegar. Repeat for all 8 bones.
- NOTE: Be careful that you do not accidentally empty the bone in vinegar, because if you do, you will lose the bone and have to collect that bone again.
- Go back to the old man taking the 8 bones-in-vinegar, a tinderbox , and 8 logs. Or alternatively, bring an axe; there are trees near the Odd Old Man at the bottom of the stairs where logs can be cut.
- To polish the bones, use a log on the pot-boiler next to the Odd Old Man, then use a bone in vinegar on the pot boiler, and finally use your tinderbox to light it (you will not receive XP for lighting logs). It takes 12 seconds for each pot to boil. Repeat this for all 8 bones.
Talk to the Odd Old Man and give him the polished bones to complete the quest.
- 1 Quest Point
- 500 experience
- 500 experience
Additional bones Edit
Once the quest is completed, a player can read the wish list located on the odd old mans hut. There is a list of 27 additional bones to be collected and prepared in the same method as the quest, completing this list provides the player with 5000 Prayer experience and the choice of either a bonesack or a ram skull helm.
- Rag-and-bone man is a British phrase for a junk dealer. Historically the phrase referred to an individual who would travel the streets of a city with a horsedrawn cart, and would collect old rags, (for converting into fabric and paper), bones for making glue, scrap iron and other items, often trading them for other items of limited value.