|Also known as||RC, Runecraft|
|Release date||29 March 2004 (Update)|
as of 1 September 2016 - update
as of 18 September 2016 - update
Runecrafting is a skill that allows players to craft their own runes for Magic spells. The experience earned from making runes is small, making Runecrafting a very slow skill to raise, on par with Slayer, and due to the constant running and banking, it is fairly click and attention intensive. However, due to the constant demand for different types of runes, it can create a very generous profit.
The fastest experience rate without assistance from other players is approximately 74,000 experience an hour by Runecrafting lava runes, which results in a loss of coins. This is better in the long term (due to the return at 91 Runecrafting with double nature runes), however short term return can be gained by crafting nature, law, cosmic or death runes through the Abyss, as well as astral runes on the Lunar Isle.
Due to how slow Runecrafting is, many players look to avoid training Runecrafting, by dumping any lamps, and using Tears of Guthix to raise the stat for them.
With the release of the Blood and Soul altars on 7 January 2016, Runecrafting has become less time consuming, with blood runes reaching experience rates of around 40,000 per hour and soul runes reaching up to around 49,000 experience per hour, in theory.
Pure essence is used to make any runes (except blood and soul runes), although it is the only kind of essence which can be made into cosmic, chaos, astral, nature, law and death runes. Level 30 Mining is required for this.
Dark essence fragments are used to make blood and soul runes. These fragments are created by using dense essence blocks on the Dark Altar in Great Kourend's Arceuus House to create dark essence blocks. These dark essence blocks can then be chipped with a chisel, creating the essence fragments.
Obtaining rune essenceEdit
Both rune and pure essence are located in the same mine. However, players require a Mining level of 30 to obtain pure essence. It is obtained automatically upon mining the rune essence, in place of regular essence.
To access these mines, players need to talk to certain NPCs who can teleport them to the mines. A player can either right-click on the NPC and select the "teleport" option or talk to the NPC and ask to be teleported. However, the right-click option is faster than talking. There are five NPCs that can teleport players to the essence mines. However, only two of them are available for free players:
- Aubury, inside his shop in Varrock.
- Sedridor, inside the Wizards' Tower south of Draynor Village.
- Wizard Distentor, inside the Wizards' Guild in Yanille. (members-only)
- Wizard Cromperty in East Ardougne. (members-only)
- Brimstail, inside a small cave in Tree Gnome Stronghold. (members-only)
Other methods of obtaining essence include trading with other players and purchasing from the Grand Exchange, monster drops, rewards from the Nightmare Zone, or the daily reward from the medium, hard and elite Ardougne diaries.
Obtaining dark essence fragmentsEdit
Only dense essence blocks can be obtained in this mine. In order to obtain dark essence blocks, the dense essence must be taken to the Dark Altar northwest of the mines and then chip the dark essence into dark essence fragments. A Mining and Crafting level of 38 is required to mine dense essence blocks.
To access and use these mines, players must traverse to Great Kourend in Zeah and run north to the Arceuus House. Before using the mines, players must have at least 25% Arceuus favour points to mine dense essence blocks, and 100% favour to create dark essence blocks and create blood and soul runes.
These essence and essence fragments cannot be banked and are untradeable.
Altars are where players make their runes. Tiaras or talismans are needed to enter these altars hidden inside "mysterious ruins". Players can find altars by finding them on their own, using a talisman, or by asking other players.
To find an altar using a talisman, players can right-click on the talisman and click on the "locate" option. In the chatbox, the player will notice a message that will tell them the direction they need to go in, whether it be northwest or southeast.
When a player has found the mysterious ruins, they then need to enter the ruins. The player can enter by using their talisman with the ruins. If they are wearing an enchanted tiara, all they have to do is click on the ruins.
When the player is inside the ruins, they are now in the altar. They can then use their essence with the altar to craft some runes. While inside an altar, a player can also enchant a tiara if they have an un-enchanted tiara in their inventory. With the un-enchanted tiara, all they have to do is use with the altar and it will become enchanted.
The table below lists the locations of where the altars are (members-only altars are written in italics).
|Air altar||1||Northeast of the Crafting Guild and south of Falador. It is also directly south in the clearing below the southernmost spinning wheel below Falador.||East Falador/Crafting Guild|
The Crafting Guild bank requires the hard Falador Diary.
|Mind altar||2||Between Ice Mountain and Goblin Village.||West Falador/Edgeville|
Travelling through the Wilderness and teleporting with an amulet of glory to Edgeville takes approximately 1 minute.
With the Arceuus spellbook, you can cast the Mind Altar Teleport to be directly teleported near the altar entrance.
|Water altar||5||South of Lumbridge in the swamp and southeast of Draynor Village.||Lumbridge/Draynor Village|
Teleporting to Draynor Village with an amulet of glory takes ~1 minute.
With a Dramen staff, you may also bank at Zanaris for a time of 1 min 30s (requires completion of Lost City).
|Earth altar||9||Northeast of Varrock.||East Varrock/Castle Wars|
|Fire altar||14||Northeast of Al Kharid, next to the Duel Arena.||Al Kharid/Castle Wars|
Using a ring of dueling to Duel Arena, craft, then teleport to Castle Wars bank and repeat.
|Body altar||20||Between Ice Mountain and Barbarian Village; south of the Edgeville Monastery.||Edgeville|
|Cosmic altar||27||The southern part of Zanaris.||Zanaris|
Using the Agility shortcuts is much faster.
|Chaos altar||35||Wilderness level 9, northwest of Edgeville. After the early stages of the What Lies Below quest, players can get to the chaos altar without entering the wilderness. You need to bring a bronze pickaxe to the statue of Saradomin east of Varrock. (42 Mining required)||Edgeville/East Varrock|
The Edgeville route goes through the mysterious ruins, the Varrock route goes through the Tunnel of Chaos (unlocked during What Lies Below).
|Astral altar||40||Lunar Isle, no talisman required.||Lunar Isle|
Equipping a staff of earth and casting Moonclan Teleport will save walking time, although 1 space is needed for law runes; provides additional Magic experience.
|Nature altar||44||North of Shilo Village.||Shilo Village (unlocked after quest)|
Advised to use the Abyss instead due to time involved.
|Law altar||54||Northern part of Entrana.||Void Knights' Outpost (via ship)/Draynor Village/Castle Wars|
Using a Ring of dueling to Castle Wars bank with the Balloon transport system is the fastest method without the use of the Abyss.
|Death altar||65||On the bottom level of the temple from Mourning's Ends Part II.||Lletya|
Advised to use the Abyss instead due to time involved.
|Blood altar||77||Arceuus House, Great Kourend in Zeah. No talisman required.||Banking not required.|
|Soul altar||90||Arceuus House, Great Kourend in Zeah. No talisman required.||Banking not required.|
Talismans are important as they are needed to make runes. To obtain talismans, players will have to kill monsters or buy them from other players. However, except from Abyss monsters, talismans are an uncommon drop from monsters, making them difficult to obtain. Right clicking them and selecting locate gives a direction to find the altar for that particular type of rune.
Each talisman has a name that indicates what kind of rune a player can make with it. For example, to make air runes, a player needs to find an air talisman. It is important to note that free players can only craft basic elemental runes (air, water, earth and fire) as well as mind and body runes, while members can make cosmic, chaos, nature, law and death runes.
Abyssal monsters have a chance to drop any talisman except death.
Talismans take up a space in a player's inventory, allowing them to only hold 27 essence in their inventory. However, a tiara can fix this. A player can combine a talisman and a tiara together, allowing them to wear the tiara on their head while still being able to craft runes. With the talisman inside the tiara, players can hold 28 essence. Players can either craft a tiara or buy one from another player.
If a player has a grey tiara with no markings on it, then it is unenchanted. To enchant a tiara, the player needs to bring the talisman to an altar (explained in the next section). For example, if a player wants to make air runes wearing a tiara, then they will have to bring their air talisman to the Air altar and combine the talisman and the tiara. Players can also earn some Runecrafting experience from making a tiara, shown in the table below. Additionally, making a tiara does not have a Runecrafting level requirement.
- Note: There is no astral tiara/talisman as the altar is found in the world, not in a special portal/zone.
Players can also be teleported inside the ruins by using the Abyss, which does not need a tiara or a talisman to use. This is possibly the best way to craft your own runes. However, despite being much faster in many cases, players often choose not to use this route due to the risk of the Wilderness. Players travel to level 5 Wilderness to be teleported.
When a player has entered the mysterious ruins, all they have to do is click on the altar. They will then craft all the essence they hold into a rune.
Crafting multiple runesEdit
As a player's Runecrafting level increases, they can make more runes. However, they only earn experience based on the amount of essence they have. For example, a player may have only 1 essence in their inventory, but can make 2 air runes. They will only receive 5 experience, as they only used one essence. The number of runes made from the essence in a player's inventory in an action that gains a level is determined by the player's level before the Runecrafting action, even if crafting the same amount of essence one piece at a time would yield more runes.
|Rune||Lvl for 2x||Lvl for 3x||Lvl for 4x||Lvl for 5x||Lvl for 6x||Lvl for 7x||Lvl for 8x||Lvl for 9x||Lvl for 10x|
Members have an extension to Runecrafting, which is the ability to combine two runes into one item.
To craft combination runes, a player needs to take existing runes that are one half of the combination, with a matching talisman (not a tiara), along with an equal amount of pure essence to the altar which comprises the other half of the combination. Use the talisman for the existing runes on the altar, resulting in:
- The talisman is consumed.
- 50% success in making combination runes.
Normally when Runecrafting, there is a delay after clicking on the altar which restricts the player from performing any action for a couple seconds. When crafting combination runes this delay is lost, meaning you can empty pouches, and use teleports such as dueling rings immediately.
For 100% success, players can wear a Binding necklace (enchanted emerald necklace), but this is only good for 16 uses. The runes made can often save inventory space when used for certain spells, including those in Ancient Magicks. Alternatively, the player may use the lunar spell Magic Imbue to make combination runes without using the opposing talisman. Using Binding necklaces and Magic Imbue to craft lava runes can yield the fastest Runecrafting experience in the game.
|Mist rune||Air & Water||6||8||8.5|
|Dust rune||Air & Earth||10||8.3||9|
|Mud rune||Water & Earth||13||9.3||9.5|
|Smoke rune||Air & Fire||15||8.5||9.5|
|Steam rune||Water & Fire||19||9.3||10|
|Lava rune||Earth & Fire||23||10||10.5|
Players receive less experience at the lower-levelled altars. For example, making mist runes at the air altar will give 8 experience for each rune made, while the same runes at the water altar will give 8.5 experience for each rune made.
A common method for training Runecrafting is by using rune runners. A runner is a player that changes noted essences into unnoted essence by converting them in a bank or a shop. At the appropriate altar, the runner trades the Runecrafter changing unnoted essences for noted essences and some fee (usually coins or runes). The Runecrafter increases the amount of essences processed and the runner gets a good reward.
The following are common worlds where runners are used are:
- Nature running: Worlds 336. Most double nature Runecrafters take unnoted essence for noted essences and more than the same amount of nature runes (or equivalent in coins).
- Law running: World 341. Trade unnoted pure essence for noted essence and the same amount of law runes. On some worlds the scheme is bringing your own pure essence. Note however, this method has decreased in popularity due to double nature runes being more profitable.
- Using a ring of dueling while making fire runes and lava runes allows teleporting a short distance (less than 20 squares) from the fire altar entrance and quick banking via the Castle Wars teleport. Each ring will only last for four trips, but saves lots of time and run energy is greatly preferred compared to banking at the Duel Arena.
- Players who have completed the hard Kandarin Diary unlock the ability to change their Camelot teleport location to Seers' Village, which is very close to the bank.
- Players who have 99 Crafting have unlimited teleports with their crafting cape to the Crafting Guild, which is the closest to a bank after completion of the hard Falador Diary.
- Members find it more convenient to use pouches with them when mining essence or crafting runes. Pouches can be obtained by using the Abyss. When bank trips are short (e.g. using the Wizards' Guild), the overhead of handling the pouches negates the additional essence carrying capacity.
- It is recommended that players mine a large amount of essence, bank them all, and then craft runes with 28 essence in their inventory each time. For example, a player should mine 28 essence, bank them, and go back to the mines and repeat until a sizeable amount of essence has been banked. This method is faster than mining 28 essence and then crafting the runes. (For water and earth runes, the gain is unclear unless this technique is combined with teleportation between bank and altar, since those two altars are only slightly nearer to banks than to Rune essence mine teleport points.)
- When mining essence, players should be only carrying a pickaxe and essence pouches so that they can run longer.
- All pickaxes mine Abyss shortcuts at the same rate. The black pickaxe is the best pickaxe to use as it has a weight of 0 kg, although a bronze pickaxe can be used as a cheaper substitute especially if the player can reach 0 kg weight anyway.
- Members should always wear the Boots of lightness. The boots can be obtained from the Temple of Ikov (the quest is not required to pick them up) and provide 4.5 kg of weight loss. These boots are enough to negate the weight of a pickaxe and/or a tiara and cost nothing to obtain.
- With the appropriate Hunter level, players can wear a spotted/spottier cape to further reduce weight and increase their running duration.
- Penance gloves from the Barbarian Assault minigame provide a 4.5 kg weight reduction.
- Graceful outfit can be beneficial, but not always necessary since most players won't be carrying more than 4.5 kg worth of items.
Crafting Nature RunesEdit
- Have a large amount of noted essence and some money. Sell as much essence as the player's inventory can hold to the general store northwest of the altar, then buy them all back. The player can then go the nature altar and craft their runes and repeat. However, some other players may be doing the same thing, making players buy another player's essence.
- Some players use runners to bring them unnoted essence in exchange for noted essence, some cash and/or some runes.
- From Al Kharid, travel north to the gnome glider. Ride the glider to the Grand Tree and then to Karamja. Travel northwest, cross the river via the log, and then head southwest to the nature altar. The player can then craft their runes. When they are done, they can use either an amulet of glory to teleport to Al Kharid or use a ring of dueling to bank at Castle Wars and then teleport to the Duel Arena.
- Use the Abyss, using an amulet of glory to teleport to Edgeville and bank there and then repeat, use the Edgeville dungeon teleport with Ancient Magicks, or teleport home and use a mounted amulet of glory.
- Move your house (Construction skill) to Brimhaven. Teleport to home and run to the Nature altar.
- Use the fairy ring teleport system. From Edgeville, run to the ring across the river. At the fairy ring central, use the c•k•r teleport to get close to the altar. Craft and use a teleport method to get back to the Edgeville bank.
- Use the boat system to travel to the Ship Yard on Karamja. Run to the Nature altar. Use a Camelot Teleport (Standard spells) or Catherby Teleport (Lunar spells) to bank and repeat.
Crafting Law runesEdit
When crafting law runes on Entrana, there are a number of ways to craft them, because the altar is so far from a bank. Remember no weapons or armour of any kind are allowed here. Possible ways to craft law runes are:
- Walk from Draynor Village to Port Sarim. Board the boat. Craft and use an amulet of glory to return to Draynor Village. Have at least 10+ charged glories for this method.
- Use the Abyss method. Have at least 10+ charged glories for this method. This method isn't recommended because you can't use armour or weapons to protect against PKers and Abyss monsters. Also it limits the ways to get into the inner ring in the abyss.
- After doing the Enlightened Journey quest you can unlock the balloon route to/from Castle Wars. After this route is unlocked, it is one of the fastest and safest methods to craft law runes. You wear a law tiara, a ring of dueling and a spotted cape. In the inventory, bring logs, pure essence and pouches. The sequence then is: Castle Wars bank, Balloon ride to Entrana, walk to the altar and craft your runes, use a ring of dueling to teleport back to the Castle Wars bank.
- Leave Entrana via the boat, then run to the Void Knights' Outpost boat and use the Void Knights' Outpost bank.
This outfit will enable you to run for longer periods of time when Runecrafting thus increasing your crafting rate. Possible items that can be worn:
- Boots of lightness
- Graceful outfit
- Spotted cape or Spottier cape
- Penance gloves (with 40 defence after barbarian assault mini-game)
|Weights with items equipped|
|Spotted/Spottier cape||-3 kg or -5 kg respectively|
|Boots of lightness||-4.5 kg|
|Penance gloves||-5 kg|
|Total||-12.5 kg or -14.5 kg|
|Magic defence with items equipped|
|Item||Magic defence bonus|
|Black/Red d'hide body||+50 or +40 magic defence|
|Black/Red d'hide chaps||+26 or +20 magic defence|
|Black/Red d'hide vamb||+8 or +6 magic defence|
|Total||+84 or +66 magic defence|
|The Eyes of Glouphrie||6,000||1|
|The Slug Menace||3,500||30|
|What Lies Below||8,000||35|
There are two boosts available to members. None of these boosts stack:
- For up to +5, players may eat orange spicy stews from Evil Dave to get a random boost between -5 to +5.
- For +1, at level 99, players can wear and operate the Runecraft cape.
- Talking to Oldak in Dorgesh-Kaan may raise or lower a players runecrafting level by up to two points.