|Start point||Brimstail in a cave to the southwest side of the Tree Gnome Stronghold, directly west of the bank.|
|Description||After you foiled a plan to destroy the Grand Tree things have been quiet in the gnome world. Brimstail has found a strange machine, though, built by Oaknock the Engineer during the Gnomes' Golden Age. What does the weird device do? Why on RuneScape was it built? If you agree to help this bookworm gnome get this confusing device working, you will learn a little about gnome magicks, gnome history, and you will start to uncover a new threat (or is it an old one?) to gnome security - a threat that is a lot harder to see ...|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Head southwest from the Spirit tree in Tree Gnome Stronghold until you see a quest start point. Enter the cave and speak to Brimstail. He will ask you to go into the next cave and look at it carefully. Inspect the singing bowl, set in the center of the cave surrounded by a black circular pothole, Look-at the Machine Panel, west of the strange machine, and attempt to unlock Oaknock's Machine. Once you're done with these 3 actions talk to Brimstail again.
Talk to Brimstail again, and he will tell you to go and talk to Hazelmere. Hazelmere is located on the island chain east of Yanille. There is also a fairy ring directly beside his hut code C•L•S, another way to reach him is using the Nightmare Zone minigame teleport and running South East.
Speak to Hazelmere, there's a long conversation and he will get inside your mind where you can now talk to him. This requires 46 magic and cannot be boosted. A long cutscene will follow showing the Goblin wars, and Glouphrie with the Gnome king. Hazelmere will then give you a crystal token for the machine.
Go back to Brimstail where you will see a smaller cut-scene where the machine you examined earlier will be damaged. You will need several items to repair the machine:
Use the mud rune with the Pestle and mortar, then the Bucket of sap with the ground mud rune to get some magic glue.
Take all these items to the machine and repair it. Talk to Brimstail and get all the crystals from him.
Now then, you have to start the machine - this is fairly complex and the numbers are different for everybody. Therefore you have to solve this mostly yourself. However, it is fairly easy. To the west side is a chart showing the values of each colour, they are:
- Red: 1
- Orange: 2
- Yellow: 3
- Green: 4
- Blue: 5
- Indigo: 6
- Violet: 7
The value is multiplied by the number of sides each crystal has
- Circle has 1 side
- Triangle has 3 sides
- Square has 4 sides
- Pentagon has 5 sides.
So for an example:
- Example 1: a red square is worth 4 points (1 * 4)
- Example 2: a violet circle is worth 7 points (7 * 1)
- Example 3: a green triangle is worth 12 points (4 * 3)
There is a token exchanger on the right hand side which allows you to insert various tokens and change them for others of the same value. You cannot exchange more than 35 points worth at a time, but you may exchange a single token for many other lower valued tokens if its value is high enough. You will always receive the same value back, in different tokens.
For the first part, you have to make a single token worth the number of points shown on Oaknock's Machine. The numbers are different for everyone. As a general strategy, try and get the smaller numbers and it's easier, any violet pentagons or similar if not needed may be exchanged for ones of a lower value.
The second section requires 6 separate tokens adding up to 3 different numbers. Be patient, it can take a while to get all the tokens that you need. You may speak to Brimstail to get more tokens which may make getting the ones you want easier (dropping the tokens and asking for more works!).
There are six creatures in total, and they have 1 hitpoint each.
- One by King Narnode. (You may have to range or mage this one, as it can get stuck behind a trapdoor)
- One at the top of the Grand Tree, by the prison.(Do not climb down the ladders immediatelly after killing the creature it will not count as a kill.)
- One by the giant tortoises north-west of the Grand Tree (in the pen north of the swamp).
- The one by Brimstail (gets killed by Brimstail's for some people).
- One right next to the Spirit Tree.
- One by the entrance to the Tree Gnome Stronghold.
Note: If Brimstail kills the evil creature, that evil creature is placed near the Grand Tree entrance, to the south.
Talk to King Narnode and he will reward you.
- 2 Quest points
- 12,000 Magic experience
- 2,500 Woodcutting experience
- 6,000 Runecrafting experience
- 250 Construction experience
- A small crystal seed — either take it to Ilfeen in Tirannwn or use it on the singing bowl by Brimstail to get an enchanted crystal saw. Then talk to Hazelmere. It allows items (that require a saw) to be made three levels above your Construction. It has a limited number of charges (28), but the recharge is free.