|Location on World Map|
|Varrock Palace||←||Varrock Museum||→||Digsite|
The Varrock Museum is a members-only miniquest as well as a main building in Varrock located north of the Varrock east bank. Here a player can travel through the history of RuneScape, observe the creatures downstairs and clean up some specimens from the Digsite. By doing these things, players may earn up to 153 kudos.
- 28 kudos - basement - Natural History quiz
- 50 kudos - ground floor - clean digsite specimens
- 75 kudos - first/second floors - quest stories
Free-to-play players can only view the ground floor exhibits, they cannot go into the digsite area nor the downstairs area nor the upstairs areas.
The Information Clerk is located in the north-west corner of the ground floor. She has information about the 3 sections of the museum. A map is available of the exhibits. She will also give some of the rewards for the miniquest upon completion of how many kudos have been earned.
Basement (Natural History section)Edit
The basement is the Natural history section. Here are various creatures on display, and when you push the button the creature comes to life. All the creatures include a Red dragon, Tortoise, Desert lizard, Skeletal Wyvern, Kalphite Queen, Terrorbird, Snail, two Sea slugs, Snake, Penguin, Camel, Leech, Giant Mole and a Monkey.
Speak to a nearby Natural historian who will give a lecture about each creature. These lectures are the basis for the quiz which follows.
Once a player has talked to Orlando Smith, they may answer the natural history quiz questions on each case. after getting three right on one case, that case is done, and the player is granted 2 kudos. When a player has answered the wrong answer the previous answers won't be reset. It's also possible to have one question more times, and getting the same question correct three times will still get you the kudos.
Completing the Natural History Section will give a total of 28 kudos. However, there is a glitch at which Orlando tells you that 'its all done' when you have only gained 26 kudos.
Player must first talk to Orlando, otherwise a message appears when selecting Study Plaque: "This looks like some sort of quiz. I wonder if I can take part..."
The ground floor is the main floor of the museum. The ground floor is dedicated to artefacts from the Digsite.
The south end of the ground floor is partitioned off for the processing of incoming samples from the Digsite. A player can earn Kudos in this section by helping the archaeology staff clean off incoming samples.
Players wishing to participate must have completed the Digsite Quest. Additionally, the player must be wearing leather boots and leather gloves and must also be holding a trowel, rock pick and specimen brush. All of these items are available from the tool rack on the south wall of the museum.
Start by taking an uncleaned find from the Dig Site specimen rocks pile. Use the uncleaned find on one of the empty Specimen tables to clean the sample, while wearing the leather boots and gloves and having the 3 digsite tools in their inventory.
Once a player finds something interesting, they may show it to one of the four archaeologists in the room, who will then tell them what case to put the object in. Putting a sample in the correct case results in a reward of 10 Kudos. Completion of the digsite participation section (5 possible finds) yields 50 kudos in total.
The display case numbers are not in order. This is a map of case numbers with the top of map being north.
|Display case numbers|
|40 - gods jewellery||38 - Saradomin pot|
|22 - Zaros and Saradomin bowls*||41 - Crude bronze arrowheads|
|44 - Zamorak coin||37 - Ancient Saradomin Symbol||43 - Zaros tablet|
|27 - Ground Layers||45 - Saradomin coin||36 - Old Saradomin Symbol||42 - Zaros symbol|
*The first time this case is filled it will be with Saradomin bowls, later you will find Zarosian bowls and be told to replace the Saradomin bowls. You just need to give simple pottery for the workers and they will tell you that it is Zarosian bowls.
Some samples contain low value items:
Some samples have no value and are not of interest to the archaeologists. These samples can be disposed of in one of the storage crates found in the south-east corner of the area. Disposing of a sample will give a player a random reward from the storage crate, usually of very small value.
Samples that can be placed in the crate:
- Ancient arrowheads
- Old chipped vase
Note that the jewellery can also be given to one of the archaeologists. They will give 5 coins for the jewellery.
Possible random items from crate:
- Tin ore
- Copper ore
- Iron ore
- Mithril ore
- Big bones
- 7-49 Iron darts
- Iron knives
- Bronze limbs
- Wooden stock
- 14 Iron arrowheads
- Iron bolts
- "Large" bones
- Uncut Jade
- Uncut Opal
- Iron dagger
- Antique lamp (gives 500 exp in any skill that's level 10 or more) (Rarity: 1/195)
A special specimen is the Clean necklace, which appears as a Ruby necklace. Instead of recommending the player to place a Clean necklace in a display case, the archaeologist will teach the player how to enchant a Ruby necklace into a Digsite pendant. However, you would lose all of the necklaces in your possession after being taught how to enchant it. Be aware that it may take patience when obtaining the Clean necklace. Some players have taken as long as 3 hours before obtaining one.
Some items are completely useless and cannot be used or placed in the crate:
- Broken arrow (Can be fixed in Player owned houses on a whetstone)
- Broken glass
Or, you could get nothing at all, saying the following:
- "The find crumbles to dust in your hands - oops! Better not let the professionals see that one!'
The first floor of the Varrock Museum contains various display cases that exhibits the chronological history of Gielinor, the timeline continues to the second floor. Talk to the historian Minas about your completed quests to complete the displays. Minas will reward you with kudos and antique lamps, which give 1,000 experience in any chosen skill over level 20. A total of 75 Kudos can be obtained for completing the display cases on this floor.
An experience lamp, which gives 10,000 experience in any skill above 50, can be obtained from Minas after reaching the maximum 153 Kudos.
The quest stories result in filling the corresponding display case in the museum:
|Shield of Arrav||24||5|
|Curse of the Empty Lord||28||10|
|Priest in Peril||23||5|
|A Tail of Two Cats||20||5|
|Temple of Ikov||28||5|
|What Lies Below ||3||5|
|In Aid of the Myreque||23||5|
|The Grand Tree||10||5|
- ↑ Requires players to bring the book: Dagon'hai history, from the Varrock Palace library, in order to complete this display.
- Digsite pendant
- If you speak to the Information Clerk with a certain level of kudos, you will be rewarded with a one-off chunk of experience.
- 51+ Kudos - 1000 experience in Mining
- 101+ Kudos - 2500 experience in Crafting and Mining
- 151+ Kudos - 4000 experience in Crafting, Hunter, Prayer, Slayer and Smithing
- With 100 kudos, players will have future access to an unreleased island north of Morytania. The barge to travel there is currently being built just north of the Digsite. The workers are too busy now to talk.
- 3 antique lamps which give 1,000 experience each in any chosen skill (Level must be 20 or higher).
- There's also a lamp which gives 10,000 experience in a skill above 50, which Minas hands out after completing the Curse of the Empty Lord miniquest. This also rewards 10 Museum Kudos.
- Talk to Orlando Smith after completing all the Natural History case to get 1000xp in Slayer and Hunter
Ground floor - View and Telegrab iron full helmet, iron platebody, and iron sword. View medieval torture devices - rack, stocks. South wall - Red Dragon’s Head, Bull's Head. Various portraits and statues of Runescape heroes
First floor - Prehistoric fossil bones, Egyptian history - Sarcophagi and mummies, Throne.
- Looking Back
- If you have completed The Golem quest, then the golem statue display will be stolen, this was your handiwork! As you took it during the quest.
- The song 'Looking Back' Is an adaption of the song 'scape classic'. A nice treat for older players, as scape classic was the original RuneScape theme music, and this new song is named 'Looking Back'.
- The player can receive the 10,000 experience lamp from Minas at 143 Kudos (instead of the full 153) if the last 10 Kudos would be earned from the Zarosian Bowls on the Ground Floor. This is because Display Case 22 has two items, but only one item needs to be in it for the display case to register as full.