|Also known as||WC|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
as of 1 April 2017 - update
as of 1 April 2017 - update
Woodcutting is a gathering skill that primarily involves chopping trees to obtain logs used in the Fletching, Firemaking, and Construction skills. Players with a higher Woodcutting level can chop down new types of trees and cut down trees quicker. As levels increase, players can use better axes to chop trees faster. Players with high enough Attack levels can equip the axes that match the respective metals, but you don't need to equip an axe to use it to cut down a tree. Having it in your inventory will suffice.
Woodcutting is a useful skill for a low level to make money with early on in the game.
Experience during trial runsEdit
- At 68 Woodcutting (all in Seers' Village, using Seers' bank)
- At 70 Woodcutting (using one teak tree south of Castle Wars and dropping logs)
- Teak - 56.6k/hr (based on 65k exp gained)
Types of treesEdit
|Normal||1||25||Normal trees include dead trees and evergreen trees, as they give the same amount of experience. These trees are the most common in RuneScape, as they can be found everywhere.|
|Achey||1||25||These trees are used for the members-only quest Big Chompy Bird Hunting, to make Ogre bows and arrows.|
|Oak||15||37.5||These trees are fairly easy to find. They are nearby many cities, allowing quick access to a bank.|
|Willow||30||67.5||These trees are found near water. You can find them in and around Port Sarim, Draynor Village, Seer's Village, and Champions' Guild.
~45k exp/hr (at 68 wc with d axe)
|Teak||35||85||These trees can be found in the Hardwood Grove by Tai Bwo Wannai, a village on member servers, plus a single tree in the woods south of Castle Wars. Players must pay 100 trading sticks, the currency in Tai Bwo Wannai, each time they enter the fenced-in area where the trees are. They are also in desert near Nardah.
~55k exp/hr (at 70 wc with d axe)
|Maple||45||100||Maple trees can only be found on member servers in Seer's Village and the Woodcutting Guild. However, the logs can be traded in and burned in free worlds by free players and members.
~35k exp/hr (at 68 wc with d axe)
|Hollow||45||82.5||These are found west of Canifis, a village on member servers. When cut, they provide bark.|
|Mahogany||50||125||These can be found in the Hardwood Grove by Tai Bwo Wannai, a village on member servers. Players must pay 100 trading sticks, the currency in Tai Bwo Wannai, each time they enter the fenced-in area where the trees are. They are also found on Ape Atoll.|
|Arctic pine||54||40||These are found on the island of Neitiznot, these logs are more known for Firemaking experience than woodcutting.|
|Yew||60||175||As of 19 February 2015, these trees are no longer members-only. Players can find these trees at Edgeville, south of Falador, and north of Varrock Castle. You can also find these trees in the Seers' Village churchyard, west of Catherby along with several south of the flax fields in seers.
~35k exp/hr (at 68 wc with d axe)
|Magic||75||250||These trees are members-only. Cutting these trees takes time as they give logs at a very slow rate. You can find these trees at the Mage Training Arena, Sorcerer's Tower, and southwest of Camelot. There are also a few just west of the south ladder to the bank in the Gnome Stronghold, as well as inside the Woodcutting Guild.|
|Redwood||90||380||These trees are found exclusively in the Woodcutting Guild.|
Canoes are a way of travelling along the River Lum. All that is required to use them is an axe and a minimum of level 12 woodcutting for the lowest level canoe. There is a canoe station in Lumbridge, The Champions Guild, Barbarian village, Edgeville and level 47 Wilderness. Note that in the wilderness a return boat cannot be made. Canoes can only be made where there is a canoe station. After being used the canoe sinks "due to the rough ride".
Canoes are a very handy way of getting to Edgeville without a Amulet of glory.
|Log||12||30||Can travel 1 stop along the River Lum. Can not go to the Wilderness|
|Dugout||27||60||Can travel 2 stops along the River Lum. Can not go to the Wilderness|
Can travel 3 stops along the River Lum (which is enough to travel anywhere along it except wilderness). Can not go to the Wilderness.
|Waka||57||150||Can travel 4 stops along the River Lum, and is the only canoe that can go to the Wilderness.|
Be careful as you cannot make a canoe in the Wilderness station.
|Axe||Picture||Woodcutting level||Attack level||Smithing level to make||Notes|
- ↑ The attack level requirement is to wield the axe. One can cut logs with it in their inventory as long as they meet the woodcutting requirement.
|Outfit piece||Picture||Woodcutting level||Extra exp given||Notes|
|Lumberjack boots||44||0.2% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack legs||44||0.6% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack top||44||0.8% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack hat||44||0.4% bonus exp||
- Wearing the whole set gives an additional 0.5% bonus, totaling to 2.5% bonus experience.
- An Axeman's Folly increases the player's Woodcutting level by 1. This is brewed using the Cooking skill.
- A mature Axeman's Folly increases the player's Woodcutting level by 2. This is also brewed using the Cooking skill.
- The dragon axe has a special attack which boosts the player's Woodcutting level by 3.
- A brown Spicy stew randomly increases Woodcutting, Herblore, Farming, Fishing, Mining and Firemaking up to 5 levels or decreases up to 5 levels. These can be made using the Cooking skill, but only by members who have freed Evil Dave in the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- Equipping the Woodcutting Cape of Accomplishment or operating the cape while it is worn will temporarily boost your Woodcutting level to 100. To obtain this cape, level 99 Woodcutting is required, and it must be bought from Wilfred, the Woodsman tutor for 99,000 coins.
Quests rewarding Woodcutting experienceEdit
|Quest||Required Woodcutting level||Required quest points||Experience|
|Recipe for Disaster (Reward is an experience lamp, which gives 20000 experience to any skill above 50)||50||175||1,575|
|The Eyes of Glouphrie||None||None||2,500|
|The Fremennik Trials||40||None||2,812|
|Icthlarin's Little Helper||None||None||4,000|
|The Fremennik Isles||56||None||10,000|
(01 May, 2014) There are 1,015 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 105m XP.
(12 June, 2014) There are 1,213 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 114m XP.
(03 August, 2014) There are 1,548 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 140m XP.
(21 September, 2014) There are 1,844 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 154m XP.
(27 October, 2014) There are 2,021 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 165m XP.
(05 February, 2015) There are 2,553 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 199m XP.
(26 February, 2015) There are 2,703 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 200m XP.
(13 December, 2015) There are 4,882 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 200m XP.
(13 June, 2016) There are 6,787 players with 99. There are 6 woodcutters with 200m XP.
(8 February, 2017) There are 11,975 players with 99. There are 12 woodcutters with 200m XP.
- Trees that require level 15 or higher to chop down have a 1/8 chance of falling down when a player receives a log from that tree. This fall chance continues to be 1/8 regardless of how many logs were taken from the tree.